What is the fastest / best Morris-Austin-Rover Mini Cooper?

Hi all, i'm wondering what the fastest mini cooper is, excluding any one offs or very limited editions.

From what i can find, it looks like the 1991 - 1996 1.3 with single point injection is the fastest, with the 96- 1.3 with multi point injection being slower but having improved economy/torque band/cruising etc.

I'm looking for one in flame red with white go faster stripes in the usual places, but 96+ seem to carry a hefty price premium. It'll be fun to swap from a R820 Vitesse to something i can fit in the newly-size-reduced spaces at asda in. The parking attendant could see my troubles and told me to park in disabled, in the new sized spaces the car will fit after much fiddling about but you scrape yourself avoiding other peoples doors (wish others would pay me the same courtesy).

Why did Rover never put a 1.4 K series engine in any towards the end? Would've seemed sensible to me.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul. A. Latham

The message from "Paul. A. Latham" contains these words:

Wouldn't fit. Much too tall.

Reply to
Guy King

It's the original Cooper S 1275. But probably outside your budget. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old ones. proper set up 1340 A series will give modern stuff as good a run as it wants. Regular top 10 finishes in rallies against bigger stuff. See

This one would have been one of the very best set up ones and produces massive torque for its CC and age. Very little modern "hot hatch" would be able to follow this one to 120mph and definitely could not out handle it.. biggest problem is torque steer with the LSD.

Sadly the guy who raced it was killed in an accident not related to racing.

JK

Reply to
JK

just take two spaces and save yourself the misery of owning a mini :)

Reply to
Steven Templeton

If you discount the few bored out (1298) 1360cc S probably the 1071 S or the

1293 S the 1071 would be the higher revving engine and there were 500 1275 GTs built to homologate for track saloon car events ( I owned one immensely silly machine even when detuned for road use) identify them by the ventilated oversize rear brake drums and vented discs, if you ever see a car with a YE1300 badge on it thats a good bet as they were a limited edition special built by a racer . Of the later models I couldn't really say as I have no experience of the 1.3 injection cars emission controls would not help IMO Derek for pure insanity I have photos of a car fitted with the austin maxi 1700 engine
Reply to
Derek

Half the problem is they built an extension onto asda which took up all the parking space and increased the number of customers so the only spaces left when you go are in spaces you can't reverse out of because they're near the car park entrance full of traffic!

Reply to
Paul. A. Latham

Thanks for all your replies, I had no idea the early ones were faster. I also expected better fuel consumption figures than the combined 43mpg quoted, Ka's get that!

Will consider it, my problem is I can never let go of a car, hence a SORN 91 Fiesta not been driven for a year on a family driveway. A lot of people don't look after cars and i'd hate mine to go to that type, although i'm fully aware that leaving them on driveways for a year is worse for them. There's also a guilt factor, how can someone who's just passed a test (the only people interested in a £250 fiesta) in a brand new micra fitted with ABS, power steering and those horrible close-together gear selectors be expected to stop a car with anvil steering and easy-lock brakes? Part of the driving test should be a skid course in a 10 year old fiesta/base model corsa/pre-bubble shape micra.

Will be looking at 91+ minis, the trouble with the Vitesse is yes it can get

46mpg on the motorway, but it can also use a LOT more fuel depending on driving style.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul. A. Latham

Mine never did :D.

Get rid of the fester before it reverts to it's natural state.

Reply to
Doki

Actually the 998 cooper was the real screamer....

Reply to
JK