What MPG should I be getting 2.4 volvo s70 auto

What miles per gallon should I be getting from a volvo s70 2.4 automatic (non turbo, with only 1 person in the car)? Its displaying

22.5 at the moment with from a mixture of road conidtions. Is that a bit low?
Reply to
Alan

UK or US mpg?

If US, sounds about right, a touch on the low side perhaps.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

It's about right given the fact that temperature, altitude, driving habits and driving situation all have a big impact on mpg.

Reply to
Roadie

I used to get around 24 mpg in normal mixed use from a V70 2.4 LPTurbo estate, my 2.5 20v (same engine) Renault Safrane would do anywhere between

17 and 37 mpg...
Reply to
Pete M

Since its a UK car I presume its UK mpg? Is 22.5 low? Seems like its due a service , could this have an impact on it? Surely if its due a service you would think they would have designed it to stay lit all the time? I have been mistakenly thinking it just satyed on for the first 2 mins as some kind of test thing.

How much should a service cost for one of these?

Reply to
Alan

Just to note, this is a UK car, so it will UK mpg. Not sure how that differes to US mpg?

Reply to
Alan

US gallons are smaller..

Reply to
Tony Bond

Depends on the mileage and what needs doing!!! (cue how long is a piece of string)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Our 97 S70 2.4 10v manual is averaging around 31mpg in mixed driving, checked with pen n paper,- the computer is about 1mpg optimistic.

It will do around 35mpg on a steady motorway run.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

This is a 20v version, not sure if that makes much difference. For the servicing I was just after a rough figure for the standard A, B, C type service schedule C being a major service. Is there a service checklist for these cars online anywhere? The kind of tick box checklist you get when you get a car serviced by the main dealer.

Reply to
Alan

I thought everything in the US was bigger ! ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Alan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No idea, but that was about tops for my 740 2 litre estate auto 3 speed with overdrive and no lock up. I reckon you should be getting a bit better than that.

Reply to
Tunku

Its definately heavy. Have an exhaust emissions test done. Sounds like it could be running open loop.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On our 2000 S70 2.4 with a T5 (high pressure) turbo, we typically got 30-31 MPG highway and around 24MPG in town, 2 people in the car, with about 26 MPG in mixed usage. Since the turbo usually kicked in in stop-and-go traffic (rather than highway which was usually just coasting), I'd think you'd get better than that in mixed conditions without a turbo. Overall, 22.5 seems kinda low.

Reply to
mdrawson

Its all down to the pint!

A US pint of water is a piddling 16 ounces, whereas a good old UK pint is 20 ounces!

They even get short changed on a pint of beer!

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Except it's served in another capacity unit... :)

Reply to
DervMan

"mdrawson" wrote in news:DiMDh.13361$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

I still have the Volvo card provided with the handbook, which has the mpg figures for all the range. The figures for the 2.4 20v NA model with auto are:

18.0mpg Urban (Cold) 35.8mpg Extra Urban 26.2mpg Combined

The 10v version is about the same, just slightly worse at speed and slightly better urban. I know these figures aren't especially optimistic, because my T5 manual averages 26 doing runs that are mixed but mostly urban, whereas the combined figure quoted on the card for it is 25.

Of course, these figures only apply to the 1997 model year, which means cars built with the old Motronic 4.4 fuel system. Later models had ME7, which includes distributorless ignition via separate coils and a fly-by- wire throttle. Therefore, newer ones may be slightly more efficient.

In short, the OPs 22.5 does seem rather low, assuming that he is doing genuinely mixed driving.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Alan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When was it last done?

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I drive a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 Estate Built to UK Standards

I get an average mpg 25 to 28 UK with a mix of urban and motorway (freeway) miles.

On the open road with cruise control at 80 mph over a distance I still get 31-32 UK mpg.

1 UK Gallons = 1.2 US Gallons

Easier if we all use grown-up units like everyone else in the world:

1 UK Gallon = 4.546 litres 1 US Gallon = 3.785 litres

So the ratio ( 4.548/3.786) is a UK Gallon is 1.2 US Gallons, ish

If my Volvo does 30 mpg UK that will be 25 US mpg. ish.

Why can't everyone get this sorted and go metric? Although I am in UK , I buy my petrol (gas) in litres as I would absolutely everywhere else in the rest of Europe, Canada or indeed the whole world!

**************************************

Except the US, which wants to be different for no reason that anyone understands.

(A Mars-lander crashed a few years ago 'cos NASA didn't understand that not everyone uses the antiquated units that the US inherited from their UK colonial masters. Odd that the rest of the British Empire/Commonwealth, when it grew up, all went metric)

************************************** Anyway my good old V70 T5 at 60,000 miles (100k kms or so) is still doing more that 30 UK mpg on a run and about 25 ish in town

EP

Reply to
ephraim_pule

Well perhaps we Brits ought to fall in and express our miles per gallon in litres / 100km ? Or do you propose we buy in litres, and continue to quote consumption in miles per gallon ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick