What Paint ?

I my youth if you wanted to paint your car you could nip down to the local ironmongers and buy a tin of Valspar and good brush and the job was done, of if you really wanted to push the boat out your got your mates Dads who worked for London Transport to get some red cellulose from the Maint Dept and you rushed around the car on a sunny day with a second hand spray gun running of a old compressor made from a fridge pump....Happy days

The range of paints today seem mind boggling......What is/are the best types of paint to use if you are doing a bit of DIY spraying at home (the old MG could do with a bit of a fright)

Thanks

Reply to
Alistair Ross

for a diy job cellulose is still the best choice, just look up your local car paint suppliers like MOVAC for instance

Reply to
Mrcheerful

================================== Examine the potential of a traditional coach paint. Tekaloid (google for more information) can be sprayed or brushed and gives a good solid depth of colour.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Only problem with them is that according to their website they don't supply to the public. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Just walk in, they will serve you. All areas have places that supply paint, drive round an industrial estate or look in the yellow pages.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A hell of a lot of people are having good results with tekaloid and the likes. I know someone from the GTI club who used to be a sprayer by profession, and he tekaloided his bird's polo rather than spraying it when it needed a couple of patches doing. As long as you put enough on to rub it down and polish it back, you should be alright. I've got no idea how good the colour fastness etc. is, but it sounds a lot easier than using a spray gun (not actually that hard, but getting a clean enough environment and the right gear to use two pack paint is).

FWIW I've just sprayed my car, aiming for pretty high standards (we'll see if I get there when it's all polished up properly and finished) and I can tell you that it's something I'd never do again. It'd be quicker and a lot easier to go out and earn the money and pay someone else £3k to do it.

Reply to
Doki