what size battery?

The battery on my 1995 Laguna 2-litre petrol is showing signs of being on the way out.

My Haynes manual doesn't suggest what type to replace it with. What CCA and RC should I be looking for in a new battery, and any strong opinions regarding getting low-maintenance v. maintenance-free?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

The spec should be on the old one - assuming it is the correct one for the car. However, anywhere that sells batteries shoukd have the specs for all cars.

A genuine maintenance free lead acid, ie SLA, needs a special charging system. But you're unlikely to be offered one - and they're much more expensive anyway.

What some call maintenance free are in fact low maintenance, as they still use liquid acid rather than the paste of a SLA type.

I'd definitely go for one where it's still easy to check the electrolyte level once in a while - although with everything in good condition it might never need topping up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I changed mine in the Mondeo TD I went to a local car parts shop, for about £50 I got the biggest that would physically fit, ended up being from a diesel transit, much higher cold cranking current and capacity and still

*significantly* cheaper than a dealer or Halfrauds. It's worth getting the biggest you can for those long dark winter evenings when you've got all the electrics on.
Reply to
Rushing7

Why?? dosent your alternator work properly?

Reply to
Hairy Arse

Did it have the same warranty, though? This is what costs the money.

The alternator should supply the current needed for these - not the battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)