What tyre?

So I reckon I need a couple of rears.

I read recently that Michelin had come highest in customer satisfaction surveys, does this ring true with anyone else?

I was considering going for a Conti-Eco Contact, but apparently conti's have come bottom of the pile of the satisfaction survey.

So now I am looking at Michelin "Pilot Primacy" see the most suitable, apparently comfortable yet good performance.

Now where to buy, I have checked a few websites, but the one with the best price (195/50 R15 V) is:

(£59.02 inc VAT)

I have never used these guys before, any comments (good/bad?)

Reply to
Oliver Keating

I've read that the Continental Eco-Contacts go "off" around about the point where they're half worn and become useless in the wet. I suspect your local tyre place will be cheaper than a website if you phone around. I mean a proper tyre place, not Kwik fit or National...

Reply to
Doki

What about Michelin Pilot Exalto £50.40 Delivered from...

HTH tox

Reply to
The Bean Machine

Seconded, once you include fitting and balancing etc, you'll save a couple of quid if anything, and its not worth the hassle, just get em done at your local place.

And it depends what you want from a tyre - i'm a student, but like to drive fast, so i look for decent, and cheap as a compromise, but anything that comes in my size is pretty good anyway. I have Hankook Ventus Sports and can't fault em.

Reply to
Dan405

satisfaction

apparently conti's have

suitable,

Depends what you mean by performance. Longevity, or grip, on wet or dry roads etc. All tyres are a compromise. A tyre with a good life, will not also have the best grip. Personally I buy tyres for grip, rather than ones that wear well. Means my tyres don't last as long as they might, but that's my choice. What makes it more complicated, is that a good tyre on one car, is not necessarily as good on a different make of car. Most customers in the survey were probably more concerned with the mileage they got from them, rather than how they performed in other areas. Mike.

with the best

Try :-

Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Didn't notice this on my 528 which came with them. I replaced them with the same and I'm quite happy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Doesn't seem to make much difference to me - none of em last further than 8k on the front - and that was gripless, rock hard budgets :) Maybe i need to re-evaluate my driving style ;) ? Bearing in mind i don't have a huge amount of power to be putting down... (about 90bhp and 1050kg car weight)

Reply to
Dan405

Most tyre wear occurs during heavy braking.

I am usually upset if I don't get more than 20k out of my fronts, maybe 50k from rears, but I have started rotating.

I have recently started driving a lot more for economy, i.e. slowing down by backing off early, and hardly ever using the brakes except to stop at traffic lights. The by product of this seems to be my fronts are wearing very slowly, in 15k miles they still have about 6mm of tread! It will be interesting to see how long it lasts

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Most tyre wear occurs during heavy braking.

I am usually upset if I don't get more than 20k out of my fronts, maybe 50k from rears, but I have started rotating.

I have recently started driving a lot more for economy, i.e. slowing down by backing off early, and hardly ever using the brakes except to stop at traffic lights. The by product of this seems to be my fronts are wearing very slowly, in 15k miles they still have about 6mm of tread! It will be interesting to see how long it lasts

Reply to
Oliver Keating

But your Merc is RWD isn't it? Surely the rears will last a much shorter time than the fronts...

These Hankooks i have on the front right now seem to be lasting quite well to be honest....

Reply to
Dan405

depends, as long you don't do burnouts I used to get near equal wear from mine...

Reply to
chris

on wet

not

wear

that's my

further than

Maybe i need

have a huge

1050kg car weight)

Nope. I suggest you think before making such a sweeping generalisation. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G