What will this cost?

I've seen this on ebay - 141349379572

And I'm wondering what would be a realistic cost for getting the engine sorted. I haven't been involved in anything like it for some time now, so what would be the way to go? Getting rings/bores done on the existing engine, or getting a recon, or an engine from a scrappy (yeah, unknown quantity, could be a disaster) What do you reckon?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'm not a member of this fraternity, but the fact that it has had 10 keepers would make me suspicious.

And signs of rust in sills would keep me a long way away.

PS . I like this: Postage: Will post to United Kingdom.

Reply to
Davey

Just noticed:

299000 KILOMETERS
Reply to
Davey

Odd that the odometer reads in Km yet it's RHD. An Aussie import maybe? We looked at a panel van conversion before we bought our last motorhome but on closer inspection it was riddled with rust. They can be prone to this due to poor insulation and internal condensation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's a shed of a van with some badly carpeted chipboard lobbed in its vague direction.

I'd start from here -

- and get to the same end point, but far better AND cheaper.

Reply to
Adrian

Digital odo: More likely someone's found the magic combination to switch from miles to km and hit it by mistake.

Seems overpriced as a starting point for a project.

Reply to
Scott M

Digital odo: More likely someone's found the magic combination to switch from miles to km and hit it by mistake.

Seems overpriced as a starting point for a project.

Yes, it was up previously at £1800 and didn't raise a bid. The one advantage so far is it's only 3 miles from me.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ireland's probably a lot more likely - but it shows as being first-reg in the UK in Oct 96, so consistent with being new here not an import.

Reply to
Adrian

I read that it is a converted van with a shagged engine. Leave it well alone.

Reply to
Stephen Foster

Less far to go with a gallon of petrol and a box of matches? ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

Both VW badged versions of the first generation Mercedes Sprinter, which means you'll be forever chasing the rot.

I'd be looking elsewhere, personally.

Reply to
SteveH

Because, of course, no other 18yo van would show any rot...

Reply to
Adrian

No, but those Sprinters seem to rot as fast as an AlfaSud.

One of my neighbours bought a brand new 1st gen Sprinter minibus 10 years ago. For the last 5 years he's been chasing the rot around it - not just in the places you'd expect, too - but bubbles breaking out randomly in the middle of panels. Bizarre.

Reply to
SteveH

Seen bubbles, paint flaking etc on quite a few VW's from that era. Blamed on the water based paints introduced by VW somewhere around N/P reg and the pre-treatment of the shell. Not just paint though, there are some really shocking examples of wheel arch rot on Polos and possibly to a lesser extent Golfs that are like viewing something produced by the Italians two decades previously albeit with a significantly slower rate of decay.

Reply to
The Other Mike
[...]

I think MB dropped the ball around the turn of the century. Apart from all the rotten Sprinters and Vitos around here, I've seen significant rust on 'T' reg cars.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I was parked behind a Mk4 Golf earlier today - the top edge of the tailgate, just below the window, was two huge saggy bags where the paint seemed to have lost grip on the metal and filled with water.

A mate had an R-reg Mk1 Sprinter from new. Pre-common rail, pre-first facelift. When he sold it about 4-5yrs ago (so ~12yo), the only places where there were brown patches starting were where it'd been scraped or dinged.

Reply to
Adrian

Must have been made under the "old" regime. I know a plumber whose 56 plate Sprinter has just been replaced by the company. When I first saw it four years ago (so 4 years old) the rust made it look like it had spent 20 years doing hard service for a builder.

The company bought a job lot and they were all in the same sort of state.

Reply to
Scott M