Which alarm?

What alarm would you recommend for fitment to a UK 1997 VW Polo 1.4CL Auto? It doesn't *have* to be Thatcham approved. But it must be capable of interfacing with the OEM VW central locking. It's just needs to act as a sensible deterrent (flashing LED), and provide the convenience of remote central locking. Of course it must perform reliably as an alarm!

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

Reply to
Roy Hammond

Such a device has yet to be invented.

I'd assume the VW came with a transponder key immobiliser at that age, which is just about the best protection you can get.

Alarms are a complete waste of time and money.

Reply to
SteveH

And how do you come to such a dramatic conclusion?

Reply to
CD

No-one takes any notice of them _at all_ due to the ratio of false to true alarms.

Think back to the last time you investigated an alarm further.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

I remember someone "investigating" an alarm with a crowbar and a set of wire cutters when I lived in Tooting in the 80s. Some tit had an alarm which went off at about 3am every night - but he had a back bedroom and not only never heard it but didn't hear neighbours ringing the doorbell either. After about a month of complaining to him someone (not me, but I'd have got there eventualy) crowbarred the bonnet and cut every wire they could find.

Stupid bloody things, alarms.

Reply to
Guy King

The actual audible part probably is, but they should have an immobiliser built in which should stop joy riders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most cars since the mid-90s have had a transponder key immobiliser anyway, so aftermarket crap isn't needed anymore.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh indeed. I just assumed the OP's didn't since he wanted a deterrent.

I fitted one to the SD1 for remote locking and a twin immobilizer. It would stop most - unless they've got a couple of hours to re-wire it, and know where everything is.

It's been reliable for the past few years, but I'd guess I took more care over the wiring than the average.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I should have said that my Polo has the standard built-in VW transponder key immobiliser. What I want is a simple DIY alarm with a visible deterrent, that can be coupled with the standard VW central locking, so that the car can be locked/unlocked remotely. If it's raining (or worse!) the car can be locked remotely without having to leave cover!

I tend to agree that the effectiveness of alarms sounding-off is variable. I know from personal experience that potential thieves *can be* warned off by a siren sounding. It's nice if any witnesses do something, but if they don't at least your car has been spared the thieves' attention. Of course if thieves do really want your car they'll get it...!

Reply to
Roy Hammond

If the central locking is a basic two wire type, then try Maplin. Of course what it won't do is switch off your immobiliser.

If it's one of the new fangled 'buss' types, pass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)