which diesel ??

I am thinking of replacing my vw golf diesel tdi 1996 its done 78K and I have a 120 mile round trip to work think its best to get rid while I can still get something for it !!.I was thinking of the Peugeot 406 as I have a growing family.My golf is quit economical but I want something that matches it for economy.Does anyone have the fuel consumption figures for the

406?.Also what family size car/cars with good mpg figures (must be diesel due to mileage) can anyone recomend. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Brian.

That's only just run in. Nothing else will hold it's value like the Golf, except maybe the Passat.

I've got a Citroen ZX diesel with 165k on the clock, engine's still going strong.

Regarding the depreciation hit, sure the OP will limit the depreciation on the Golf but the replacement car will also depreciate.

I can't see a reason to replace the car on economic grounds, however if the reason is due to the size of the car then I guess that makes sense.

Reply to
deadmail

My Zx D is only at 125k, a mere youngster. I know of these engines running well at over 250k without major attention.

The previous car; a BX finally died at about 215k miles. And only then because the suspension was knackered and the interior was falling apart.

I did about 140k miles in that car only changing oil, filters and doing the cambelt at the recommended intervals. I used the cheapest oil I could buy and had no problems at all. The XUD engine really is solid, it is however more than a little dated now particularly in its non-turbo form.

Still I daresay I'll hang onto my ZX for a few years yet. It's hard to see what's likely to kill it since they're relatively simple cars.

Reply to
deadmail

Xantia 1.9TD 95N. Might be knocking on but only 90k, 45mpg easy and as reliable as the wifes excuses for not doing the ironing.

Krystnors

Children >

Reply to
Krystnors