Central locking operates by Itself while driving

Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks operate by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. Apart from this, the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that if the deadlock operates I won't be able to get out!

Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

:>Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks operate :>by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. Apart from this, :>the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that if the deadlock operates :>I won't be able to get out! :>

:>Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks. :>

:>Steve :>

On the US Focus it is normal for the doors to lock at approximately

5mph. You can still open the doors from inside with the handle as usual. I don't know if this is normal worldwide or not so hopefully someone with the same car as yours can verify this.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

It's not implemented on UK vehicles.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

This is caused by the crappy little plastic parts in the door lock mechanism falling to bits. I've had to change both front door lock mechanisms in my

2000 2.0L zetec now due to the same fault you have described. I was putting off changing the second one until the doors locked themselves whilst the key was in the ignition, with the engine running and I was outside of the car, in the rain. Take heed! Always keep a set of car keys in your hand until you fix it.

HTH

Reply to
Jonah

Thanks. Yes, I'm in the UK.. Can you tell me if you had to change the whole lock mechanism? If not, which part?. Also any comments on costs, and is this a DIY job?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have experienced the same problem. A friend suggested that it could be the key. So I used one of the non-remote spares for a while, and experienced none of the clunking - so have concluded that it is the key. I now tend to still use the 'faulty' remote, just puting up with the occasional clunk.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

It is a DIY job as I did both of mine myself. Full details of how to do it are in the Haynes manual. The part is the door lock/latch assembly. Costs about £60 - £70 from ford parts. Make sure you tell them if you have deadlocks or not when you go to get the parts. Also, ask the guy behind the counter for a discount and he might nock off the VAT. The Ford garage by us will.

Reply to
Jonah

:>On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:18:06 -0700, me/2 wrote: :>

:>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:29:53 +0100, "Steve" :>> wrote: :>> :>> :>Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks :>> operate :>by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. :>> Apart from this, :>the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that :>> if the deadlock operates :>I won't be able to get out! :>> :>

:>> :>Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks. :>

:>> :>Steve :>> :>

:>> :>> On the US Focus it is normal for the doors to lock at approximately :>> 5mph. You can still open the doors from inside with the handle as usual. :>> I don't know if this is normal worldwide or not so hopefully someone :>> with the same car as yours can verify this. :>> :>> me/2 :>

:>It's not implemented on UK vehicles. :>

:>Chris

Thanks for the info. I guess we have a much worse carjacker problem here as that's the only reason I can think of for that "feature". :-)

me/2

Reply to
me/2

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonah" Newsgroups: alt.autos.ford.focus Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 6:53 PM Subject: Re: Central locking operates by Itself while driving

.

Thanks Jonah. Very heplful.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Paul. I have a non-remote spare, so I'll try using it for a while before changing the door locks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Are you sure this is a feature and not a bug? My 2003 Focus SE Wagon (US) did this when it was new by default until I deactivated the door autolock using this procedure

atkinsonguy

:>On Mar 31, 11:29 am, "Steve" wrote: :>> Hi.  I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus.  While driving, the door locks operate :>> by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. Apart from this, :>> the locking system operates fine.  I'm worried that if the deadlock operates :>> I won't be able to get out! :>>

:>> Can anyone suggest how to fix this?  Thanks. :>>

:>> Steve :>

:>Are you sure this is a feature and not a bug? My 2003 Focus SE Wagon :>(US) did this when it was new by default until I deactivated the door :>autolock using this procedure :>

:>

As was noted in a reply prior to yours that "feature" doesn't exist on the UK Focus.

me/2

Reply to
me/2