Windscreen repairs

Driving up the M4 today and a stone skimmed across the windscreen. It has left three extremely small marks which are about just 1mm across right in the swept area drivers side and only just into the glass. Are these too small to be repaired/filled? It's irritating knowing they are there.

Reply to
Popadalious

If it's in the swept area I weould take it to someone like Autoglass. Most insurers will pay out in full for a repair.

I had a chip that was close to the edge of the glass (outside the swept area), and Autoglass wouldn't touch it "it's too close to the edge guv". I had reasonable success repairing it myself with a DIY kit:

Reply to
D A Stocks

Be careful if you renew your insurance with the same company. On a couple of occasions I've read the T&C that accompany the renewal quote to find that the excess on glass repair/replacement has been increased to a high value such that the company are not effectively carrying the risk. It's one of the tricks the insurance companies play on loyal customers.

Reply to
alan_m

That wasn't my experience when I went through 2 replacement windscreens in less than a year with Zurich, and I'm fairly certain both my recent companies (current and previous) pay for a *repair* without an excess. OTOH Zurich renewal premiums were always daft, I ended up getting a fresh quote and policy as a 'new' customer with them rather than renewing. I'm back with Zurich after a year or two of absence and it will be a while before I find out if anything has changed.

Reply to
D A Stocks