Sierra Exhaust

Anyone got an idea what a fair price would be for a Sierra exhaust? Full pipe, without manifold fitted. Mine failed MOT because a small hole in center silence.

Sierra 1990 1.8LX Saloon.

Reply to
Mark

Should be able to find a system from downpipe back at local independent=20 for under =A380.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Is this the one?

Kevin Poole

MSF ford will supply and fit a complete system front to back for £98. KwikFit will also do one for around the same price.

Reply to
Ian

Christ, this aint looking good. Far too much money. I know its probably cheap comapred to modern cars with a cat, but can't pay that much. Car good very and rather keep it, but on a £200 Sierra...

Reply to
Mark

So get some gungum, some wire and an old tin can and repair it=20 yourself.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

So get some gungum, some wire and an old tin can and repair it yourself.

Think I will have to if the MOT will accept that. Its only a tiny hole and can just get a finger in it.

Reply to
Mark

Found this

durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound So some gumgum and wire it is then. Last time I did this was thirty years ago with an exhaust bandage and it lasted for the life of the car.

Also interested in this from the same section. Surely this mean all those boy-racer exhausts that wake me at 2am going past my house are MOT failures?

b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be ***average for the vehicle.***

Reply to
Mark

Not necessarily - see below.

Actually the above bit can be challenged as there's a set specific dB limit at a set distance and angle of measurement so "louder than average" isn't a test that stands up if someone chooses to challenge it.

Reply to
Conor

Shame. Nothing worse in my opinion that a roaring car. Sounds awful. A gentle rumbling V8, yes, but a party-seven tin stuck on the back of a small hatch, just brings me out in fits of laughter.

Reply to
Mark

I've got a V6 now so a loudish system sounds nice. On my old 4 pot Capper, even though it was a custom stainless system, I kept it quite quiet.

Reply to
Conor

For an exhaust system that is not a tiny hole. It's quite a big one as far as noise and gas emissions are concerned. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G