wiring up a horn

Ey up

My wiring is bad, from previous owner. It always blew the fuse as did the cig light if you used it.

MOT is due next week, now the horn would hav been in the middle of the sterring wheel but thats a no no now.

I usually just put on a quick switch so the tester presses it and hears it but it always melts the whole swich after 3 seconds.

I need to wire up a horn to a switch on the dash, can someone tell me what gauge wire and what switch to get, i actually want a horn that will last!!

thanks

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:addVe.23344$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

you need to get a relay, then the switch on the dash only earths a very small current, the relay gives a big current to the horn

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

thanks, will hunt around for the bits!

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

How much current will a horn pull?

Would it not be easier just to re-route an new say 1.25mm² flex to the sounder and then a decent momentary switch?

There must be other problems/earth leaks/faulty sounder for it to melt a switch so quickly.... assuming its a decent switch?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

About 6A for a single note one. About 20A for an air horn compressor.

Yes, but getting 1.25mm flex might be a problem :-)

Absolutely right.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the button i used was a cheap small from a electronics shop, it was just so it honked once and so the tester heard it. all plastic part from the 2 tiny contacts.