X reg Micra rear brakes & front crossmember question

My daughter's 1.3 SI Micra just scraped through an MOT (borderline rear brake efficiency).

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a garage replacement for new shoes & cylinders? (I suspect the old ones are weeping slightly).

If I decide to DIY it, are there any particular gotchas or special tools needed?

The front crossmember under the radiator was also reported as fairly heavily corroded and I was quoted £260 to replace. As the car can't be worth too much more than this are there any acceptable bodges or other repairs I could consider?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It's more likely that the self adjusters aren't working and the pivots=20 on the handbrake linkage at the back are seized.=20

As for ballpark figure.

Cylinders should be under a tenner a side and a set of shoes around the=20 =A320 mark.=20

I'd whip the drums off first before spending money.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Nothing special, other than the pipes and nuts will be solid and snap off etc as per usual with that age of vehicle. Probably safest to be prepared to change the metal brake pipes while you are at it.

Stock fault. On my son's, a back street guy I know did it for =A340, but then I did the work of removing the front bumper and sticking it back on afterwards, which would have halved his time. That was to plate it over though, not replace it. Adequate for the MOT.

BobC

Reply to
BobC