Rear Crossmember

1985 CSW V8 LPG

I took this week as leave to get to work on the CSW, in particular replace the extremely rusty rear crossmember.

It's sitting on the drive, wheels off, gas tanks removed all bolts removed at which point I realise that the cross-member I have is the wrong one! The extensions are too short, there are no supports for the rear body and no mountings for the anti roll bar.

(Notwithstanding, yes I should have checked when I bought it a month or so ago!)

I now have "idle" time. Can you suggest anybody within a reasonable (100+ miles or so) of Trowbridge (Wiltshire) that may have a rear cross member in stock. I've got this time off and I really want to get the car done this week!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Pete at Christian Autos in Kingswood carries them in stock - Britpart, I think. He's really helpful, but their phone does get tied up early in the day!

Christian Autos 26a Hanham Rd Bristol, BS15 8PP 0117 960 1443

I hope that's not too far away...

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Wed, 27 May 2009 00:38:11 +0100, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

I think the word you're looking for is "bugger".

what's it for, a 90?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello Austin,

Yes probably or a commercial.

It was remedied by a quick trip to Tim Fry Land Rovers of Cheltenham who not only had the right one in stock, but knocked a bit off and it ended up cheaper. The other supplier gave me a full refund, so sorted!

You should see your CSW now, the proud owner of a new and fully fitted rear cross member with all the holes in the right places :-)

I should also like to take this opportunity to recommend Sirus UK (Hosequip.co.uk). I used them to manufacture some bespoke hoses for the power steering. Most of my local companies weren't interested if it wasn't a standard part. I sent them the fittings from the ends and e-mailed them the lengths and pictures of the old ones. They turned it around in less than a week, were very competitively priced and even put in a swivel joint to get over any problems with the orientation of the ends. No connection apart from a very satisfied customer.

Cheers

Peter (Just the body cross member to do now - another bloody challenge!)

Reply to
puffernutter

On or around Fri, 29 May 2009 00:21:49 +0100, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

I'll be glad to see it back on the road. It was a good truck, was that...

always handy to know that kind of thing. I've a local chap here who has the kit to do bigger ones (the kind you get on JCBs and suchlike) but I don't know if he does small ones.

what, the one under the rear body? yeah, can be fun, from all accounts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Lots of people cut them into two pieces, slide them in, then weld them back together again. Mine was done that way, professionally, and it's been through at least 4 MOTs since with no issues.

HTH.

BTW, I saw you went up to Cheltenham in the end for the back crossmember. Did you try Pete in Kingswood? I'd have thought it was much closer, unless I misunderstood your location. Just wondering (I've got mine to do later this summer). Is there sommat I should know?

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Hello,

I spoke to Pete and he had one but couldn't confirm if it was the right one or not. He suggestion was that I come and look.

I spoke to Tim Fry and he was prepared to describe it and check measurements and I was certain that it was the one I wanted. I needed it urgently so it was a choice of going to Bristol on the off chance or Cheltenham for a dead cert. Whilst further away, I opted for Cheltenham.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Thanks for the update - will pass that on as feedback. He's normally brilliant, and even delivers to us across Bristol (but I'm usually in too much of a hurry to wait!). Glad you got it sorted, anyway. Was the one you eventually fitted a Britpart one or another make?

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Britpart.

Cheers