Xantia Immobiliser problem!

Hi,
Ive just had a new engine put into my L-reg 1.8 xantia, however there seems to be a problem with the keypad immobiliser. Basically it doesnt work, or
indeed do anything .... no response regardless of what is keyed in, the light simply stays red.
Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong, my garage, who have done the work so far say, im probably best to get it towed to the nearest citroen dealer to get the immob. sorted and then back to them for the engine work to be finished! However this is would add about 300 to the final bill ......
Is it possible to simply remove the immobiliser system and use the car without it?
Thanks in advance Chris

seems
work
Oh and by the way, its the 1.8 8v PSA petrol engine...if that helps!!
Chris

Surely it wouldn't be much use as an immobiliser if you could?
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

My cars not much use as a car when its immobile!

Sorry, newsreaders sending messages whenever I hit enter - what i meant to say in addition to the above is that all my previous cars have had immobilisers that can be disarmed. Though the process is quite complicated. For a v6 mk1 mondy it involves grinding away a rivited-metal plate, shorting pins etc

seems
work
The immobiliser is usually an integral part of the engine ECU on petrol Xantias. Have the garage possibly changed the ECU when they replaced the engine?
The most likely cause of immobiliser faults on these is normally just a dodgy wiring connection somewhere between the ECU and the keypad though. A blown fuse can also cause similar symptoms.

At least, Citroens stock answer to this is seems to be 'replace the ECU', which is several hundred in itself at a main dealer.

Its easy on the diesel version, you just hacksaw the pump ECU off the end of the injector pump. The petrol version is likely to be more tricky though.
It may be worth posting this on the Andyspares Citroen forum http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum / as this problem seems to crop up fairly regularly on there.
Nick