Your opinion on engine oil condition please

I get the Peugeot main dealer to use my own supplied Millers XFD on services.

I have done this since my first new private car, an AX diesel in 1996! It costs slightly less than the oil they use (and charge for by the half litre) and I know what they are using, and Millers is approved by Peugeot. It still turns black though! :-)

Reply to
Doctor D

Well at the mo I am following HJs advise of not revving above 3000rpm but regularly hitting 3000 rpm when accelerating, and of course not labouring the engine. J

Reply to
JimS

My old Volvo did'nt use any oil either , the oil just changed from a light brown to a darker brown.

Well to be fair I did say that my wifes car was a Picasso just having its 2 year 24K service and my own car was a new Vectra, however I suppose I should have given the service/repair cockup story which initiated my concern over the oil change.

I'll ware a helmet next time :-)

JimS

A good oil should turn black as it keeps shitty deposits in suspension [this varies with the design of the engine mind you]. The chap who used an oil that stayed opaque while the dealer oil turned black should suspect that his 'clean' oil was just not doing its job properly. Being 'synthetic' is not a recommendation as to suitability. The 'standard' achieved by the oil as expressed by its API, ACEA or brand specific standard is what is important. Being 'synthetic' means diddley squat. For all we know and unless it is supported by the appropriate 'standard' it could just be branded synthetic door hinge oil.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Plenty of load is the key to good running in, but without labouring the motor- so change gear plenty often. Several bursts of full power to a sensible rev limit is the way to go. By 1000miles you should be hitting

4000rpm say once every couple of days under a good load.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In which case would it be better to run say at 70mph in 6th gear at

2000rpm (higher engine load) or 5th gear at 2500rpm. I have been generally changing between 5th and 6th on the motorway to vary the engine speed. On open roads I pop it up to 3000rpm on acceleration. J
Reply to
JimS

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember JimS saying something like:

It's quite normal and as time goes on the fresh oil will become blacker quicker after each change. It's all to do with the remaining claggy oil in the engine after draining - you can't get it all out and it's a potent dye of new oil. Nothing to worry about at all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A delayed thanks to all, you are a good bunch.

Paul

Reply to
JimS