Zafira graunching noise

There is a graunching noise from the engine bay of my 1.9 CTDi Zafira just after the engine starts (not while it is starting) and again after it is switched off. Nothing audible while driving, but SWMBO says it's noisy on full lock. I haven't tried that yet myself while on the move. Nothing while stationary.

Steering pump problem?

Reply to
Ramsman

Some vauxhalls have electric pumps for power steering,some have conventional engine driven power steering. first check should be fluid level. some have an electric assist steering column with no fluid.

I had a mondeo diesel in with a similar noise fault, it turned out to be the crankshaft pulley that drives the power steering. The pulley has a rubber damper built in that had broken up allowing metal to metal movement and noise, but it was only noticeable when idling, especially if the loading was high from PS or alternator.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's an EHPS (electro-hydraulic power steering) system made by TRW. Variable power assistance generated by a hydraulic pump driven by an electric motor.

I could be barking up the completely wrong tree, of course. Suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Ramsman
[...]

It's pretty unlikely that a noise on startup/shutdown would be caused by an electric PAS pump. Easy to check though; disconnect it and see if the noise goes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have read that the pumps can be a problem iirc it is quite difficult to check the fluid level as the bottle is well hidden.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Whatever it was, possibly something stuck in a drive belt, it doesn't do it any more. Mysterious.

Reply to
Ramsman