Zafira - no power, cant go over 3k RPM...HELP!!!

Zafira 1.6

52 Plate 44,000 Miles Petrol

I was on the motorway doing between 70-75MPH when suddenly all power seemed to vanish, my revs dropped down to 3000 rpm and refused to go any higher, max speed was about 60 which was ok and I managed to drive another 15 miles to get home.

I noticed that a small light had illumiated on the dashboard, it looked like a small yellow car with a spanner, I think this may be a warning from the ECU??

At the beginning of the journey I had noticed a small puff off white smoke come from the exhaust as my wife started the engine and the engine sounded a little rough (tapping sound) but i thought nothing of it.

I know bugger all about cars but something tells me that it might be an oil problem?, but if it is something as simple as my oil pressure running low then why didn't the oil warning light come on??

I will go out to the car in about 2 hours after the oil has settled and the engine has cooled down and check the dip stick, if the oil is ok then what else could it be?

If my oil is low, then why didn't the warning light come on?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Stu.

Reply to
lipraloof

It's probably not oil.

In many cases, if the ECU detects something badly wrong, which is not a fatal problem, it will switch the engine to 'limp home' mode. The possibilities of damage at (say) 1/3 power are much less than at sticker power, though the engine may run roughly, or with poor emissions.

I don't know enough to speculate what sensor may have gone. It's almost certainly not oil.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ignoring the fault for now, the low oil pressure light is exactly that - low oil PRESSURE, not LEVEL. If the oil level is low enough for the pressure to drop and light to come on (because the pump isn't picking up any) then the level is seriously low, far lower than the low mark on the dipstick. You car's manual will state the reccomended frequency for when YOU should open the bonnet and check the oil level, you should not wait for the light to come on, as engine damage could occur if you do not stop the engine and add oil quickly.

As for you fault - get your car to a garage so they can read the ECU's fault codes to diagnose the problem.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

MAP or cam sensor. With ignition switched on, locate the ECU connector under the hand brake lever. The connector will have 16 pins (8 on 2 rows). On the row at the bottom of the connector (the fattest bit that looks like the base of a triangle) count 3 pins in from the left (if fat bit is at the bottom, or 6 pins in from the left if fat bit at top) This is technically pin 6. Run a thin wire from this pin to an earth point (exposed metal work on the body) and observe the light on the dash.

It will flash in groups. The first group is in tens, the second group is units, seperated by a brief pause. After a long pause, a second code will be flashed (if there). Observe flashes, note and post back.

If there is no pin in this connector as described, you'll need to take it to Vauxhall.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Or if you don't wish to be charged silly money, a local independent auto electrician with a fault code reader.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I've only had the car for 6 weeks mate, I didn't expect them to supply me with a car with no oil in the engine.

I checked the oil, it's not even regestering on the dipstick!!

Reply to
lipraloof

This is the best possible case - marginal oil level.

If it's slowly dropped to the level where it's now not registering enough oil pressure, then I'd expect it to have been blinking on and off for ages.

It sounds like the oil may be going somewhere it shouldn't, which is bad.

Is the coolant level normal?

Have you noticed any smoke from the exhaust?

Does the coolant look like it should?

When you top up with oil, run for a few minutes, does the oil have any cream tinge?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Smoke from exhaust:

Yes, I noticed it today just as the wife started the car and did a U-turn, I cant say i've seen any smoke up until now though - was only a tiny amount and it was gone pretty quickly.

Oil Warning Light :

The oil light has never came on.

Coolant :

None of that creamy mixture that you mention, I had an old Ford Orion that had that pretty bad when he oil and water mixed.

Since I know I have no oil, which oil is the best for this type of engine and how much will I need to put in....considering that the oil is not registering at all on the dipstick.

Thanks for your replies guys. :-)

Reply to
lipraloof

Check your manual.

First hit I found on zaphira "oil capacity" on google:

says 4.25l.

I suspect 15W/40 would probably do just fine, though again, your manual should say.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You seem surprised?

You mean you've not checked the oil for 6 weeks, and even then assumed that it would of been ok when you got it?

As others have said, the oil light is for low pressure. Generally by the time the oil light comes on, the pressure is critically low, and no where near enough to lubricate the engine properly.

With any luck, topping the oil up might be enough (some vauxhall engines do a have a low level sensor, which brings on the engine management light and cuts power, to try and stop numpties who never check their oil level from blowing the engines up)

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Am I the only person who's noticed this character's email address?

Reply to
Adrian

Actually some of them do. Or did. The original engine in my Omega had a level sensor which brought up a message on the computer display. Not common though, that sump design was discontinued and the other design didn't have the level sensor (which meant when I swapped the engine I had to short the sensor connection ;-) And OK, if you're being pedantic, that is handled by the ECU anyway, I know.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The omegas had all sorts of weird and wonderful sensors, which brought up all sorts of weird and wonderful warning messages.

We service one that's had a dipped beam warning message displayed for several years despite the dipped beam working fine, and the only cure is a complete new headlight, hence why it's been displaying that message for several years...

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

He's obvisouly not very good at spelling at backwards if it's meant to be what I think it's meant to be!

***
Reply to
M Cuthill