Oil virtually run dry! :-(

Hi,

For the past few weeks my Skoda Felicia 1.9D has progressively been taking longer to start.

General usage is for short journey's only, and sometimes doesn't get used for a few days. For this reason and the recent cold weather I originally suspected the battery was going. Until finally last week it completely refused to start, although cranking was fine...

Basically, this post is about making my mind up what to do with it. I have a second car (currently not in the road), so one option if prognosis is bad is to pass on the Skoda.

I was hoping by posting a few details someone could suggest how bad the damage may be before I tow it to the garage to be looked at.

Cranking power seems healthy enough, the engine turns over fine, it did try to catch a couple of times, but there's *lots* of blue smoke coming out of the back!

Now, upon checking the oil, there appears to be next to none left! Ouch. :-((

No obvious signs of a leak in my usual parking space... Could it have been leaking slowly without me noticing? Of course, I'm expecting some damage to the engine.

Is it worth replacing the lost oil before taking it to the garage... would that itself get it running again (to last over the summer)?

It's a P-reg, 1.9 diesel, with about 72000 on the clock. Had it 2 years, oil+filter change at each MOT, and never a problem until now.

Just renewed the insurance, so I need to make a decision whether to cancel the policy or not soon.

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, etc... (except not checking the oil regularly, I know that now!)

Cheers,

-bernie.

Reply to
news-03

The message from snipped-for-privacy@foobar.clara.co.uk contains these words:

Does it have glow-plugs? If so then it's quite likely to be a failure of two or more of 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

snipped-for-privacy@foobar.clara.co.uk was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

If the battery and glowplugs are OK and you're getting fuel to the engine, that'll be lack of compression then...

Most, if not all, bearings, pistons, bores - more or less anything that moves inside the engine.

I'd say the water pump is probably still salvageable.

Well, it'll crank better with less compression, obviously...

Ahem. I assume it's never occured to you to check the oil? It's a Diesel, it's more likely to burn a tad than an equivalent petrol car.

Given your description above I'll save the money on the oil to buy something a bit stronger so you can fortify yourself for the time when the bill arrives.

How many miles do you do between MOTs, and what does the handbook say about oil change intervals? Are the two even within shouting distance of each other?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I used to know when the 405 was running low and needed a top up, because the oil light would start to flicker under heavy braking or cornering (roundabouts at speed usually). Not very mechanically sympathetic i'm sure, but it was only a SO405, and it didn't start using more oil over the 3 years I owned it :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Personally, I'd top up the oil with the cheapest stuff I could possibly find and see what happens.

Reply to
SteveH

How come?

TIA

Reply to
Krycek

Did the oil pressure light come on? If not, I wonder why not. Of course, there may still be oil in the engine - not enough to show on the dipstick but enough to enable it to get pressure and keep the light off.

If there's any oil in there then you may not have damaged the engine despite what the previous posters have suggested. But then the question arises as to why there's all that blue smoke and why it won't start. This may not be related to the oil issue at all.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

I'd assume due to the higher compression ratio forcing oil past the piston rings or something like that.

Reply to
SteveH

Maybe not. Presumably you would have noticed had the oil warning light come on on the dash. As long as the warning light works, and didn't come on, the engine has still been receiving oil, so there's a good chance that the low oil level hasn't caused any damage.

You should certainly top up the oil before taking it to the garage. I would advise you get it running. Then decide what to do. IMO the low oil level has nothing whatsoever to do with it's failure to start. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

================= I would do the same. See how much oil goes in to bring it up to the correct level and then work out how little oil was actually in there. Damage may not be as bad as the pessimists suggest because it hasn't siezed apparently.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

glow plugs shot??

Reply to
Neil

The message from "Robin Graham" contains these words:

And does it come on before you start the car?

Reply to
Guy King

But the higher compression is on the non-oily side of the piston rings IYSWIM

Reply to
Malc

That's a good point.

I don't know why they would, then.

Reply to
SteveH

I reckon it's one of those nasty compromise issues, as you've got higher compressions you need more lubricating oil to cope with the higher piston ring pressures. & I reckon it's a lot to do with what's historically acceptable, VW's have always burnt more oil tha Ford etc.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Exactly, if the light never came on it's probably fine.

Reply to
DuncanWood

FWIW, I ran my s**te old Mondeo nearly empty. Topped it up again and it was fine. Then I did it again, and the big ends died. You'll know that's happened because it will sound even more horrific than usual.

Reply to
Doki

If it got to the point where its chucking out blue smoke then its knackered.

Reply to
Conor

I quote from the original post...

"Cranking power seems healthy enough, the engine turns over fine, it did try to catch a couple of times, but there's *lots* of blue smoke coming out of the back!"

Now tell me the last time you saw an engine that had lots of blue smoke coming out of the back which wasn't knackered?

Reply to
Conor

Loads of blue smoke bellowing out the back and it not firing not a problem then? The fact that blue smoke = shafted piston rings and a diesel not firing can be due to low compression from shafted piston rings not being an issue...

Reply to
Conor