1990 Radiator Finally Gone

After 13 years and four months the radiator on my wife's Miata finally bit the dust. After about 1/4 mile this morning she wisely turned around for home when "smoke" start coming from under the hood. The weather was just fantastic today so she reluctantly climbed into the Forester to continue on to work.

Everything under the hood looked good when I got home, but because of lurking here and on the Miata.net forum, I was pretty sure it was the plastic radiator. Sure enough, a few minutes of idling and funny smelling liquid started oozing out all along the top seam of the radiator. Bad part of this is that the '90 is an automatic and I'm going to have to deal with the ATF cooler connections. That and I could have spent this money on 2 of the needed KONIs for *my* Miata.

-- Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red Inside the Beltway [Remove the first two digits to reply]

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Chuck

Why would you go all metal?

John ('94 Miata)

Reply to
mngineer

Because every plastic tank radiator I've ever owned (except for one I sold) has failed. (Several cars and MPV) The plastic gets brittle over time and temperature.

Reply to
Chuck