Querying a dealer

Colleagues:

I've been haunting eBay recently, scanning dealer sites for a used, late-year model. Yesterday a Houston dealer posted this line about a model being offered: "You may contact your local Mazda dealer to possibly obtain any additional records (using the VIN)." Can anybody shed any further light on this? Is such information available? Is it potentially valuable? Would you wade into the swamp of a dealer's lot to ask them to supply you with info on a car they weren't selling? Thoughts?

Bruce New Orleans

Reply to
Bruce Nolan

with info on a car they weren't selling?<

No, but I would use one of the online VIN checking services:

I used Autocheck and was pretty happy with the service. Seemed like a better deal than Carfax.

John ('94 Miata)

Reply to
mngineer

I took my recently purchased used Miata to a Mazda dealer and got a complete company record for the car. Included recalls, whether repaired and some other interesting facts -- specific to the vehicle's VIN.

More informative than Carfax.

Reply to
James Biteman