2001 Horn Replacement Info

Hello All, Maggie Mae (My '01 Miata) and I have been getting along quite well as of late. We just drove from South Louisiana to Flagstaff Arizona and back. That was a beautiful and truly enjoyable trip. I have been doing quite a bit of research on replacement horns. I decided against air horns. I went with two pairs of the Hella horns from Performance Products. Yes they were pricey, but I'm hoping they will be worth the money. (Yes, I want FOUR 110db horns, I'm tired of getting cut off by jerks talking on the cellphones in their Escalades or almost getting run over by 18 wheelers, etc) Here's what I need to know - I can see one of the factory horns in front of the radiator hanging by a steel bracket. I cannot find another one. Are there two horns? (A High and a Low tone) Could Mazda have actually only put one as the factory config? That would explain the "Please don't hurt me" tone of the stock horn. Has anyone done a write up or How-To on changing these horns? I'm not really too thrilled at the idea of having to remove what looks to be the top two mounting brackets for the radiator to get the factory horn out.

Help Please?

-Karl North and Maggie Mae

Reply to
Karl North

There is only one horn, but there is a hole drilled and tapped for another on the driver's side.

You don't have to do a lot of disassembly. The horn bracket is attached to the car with one bolt. You remove the bolt and remove the horn from below, reaching through the hole in the front of the bumper. If you need extra room you can loosen the bolts what hold on the aluminum bumper bracket and flex the bracket out of the way.

Reply to
Natman