Replacement horn for '99

A while back there wuz an online vendor that sold a horn (plug & play) that was much louder than the stock (don't hurt me) horn. Can't seem to find it out there. It was NOT an air horn...

Has anyone popped a new horn in recently & where did ya get it?

thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Serious auto's "wicked loud! horns"?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

i got excited about reading up on these at

only to then find that they no longer offer them for 90-97 miatas (or 98 and 99 if they ever did). the only ones that they do offer are for 2001-2005 (and not 2006). any other non-air horn suggestions welcome. thanks.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

The Wicked Louds were nice, it was a shame to throw them in the trash after my deer incident.

I was going to replace them when I found two electric fiamm horns that were sealed in the package at, you guessed it, a thrift store for $1.99 each. These were similar to the Wicked Louds with a deeper tone than stock and an actual trumpet opening rather than the wimpy stock horn diamphram.

It was literally 10 minutes to take the meep-meep horn off and install the new one, plugging straight into the stock wiring.

I was going to wire the other fiamm horn in as well using the pigtail fuse adapter from the ruined horns, but decided it was loud enough with one, and I have a replacement if anything happens to this one. It also takes up less space than the Wicked Louds did which is good if you have an big radiator and intercooler installed.

These probably retail for $15.00 to $20.00 or so. The horn has been on for over a year, the wire is fine, and there have been no issues with the fuse.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I picked up a horn at Harbor Freight - I think it was $5.95. It is much louder than stock, with a deeper tone. I installed it using the stock horn's bracket - about 10 minutes. It has been 3 years now without a problem.

Randy

Reply to
BCRandy

Thanks everyone. I couldn't find anything but air horns on harborfreight so started looking on ebay... found a pair of Hella horns that sell for about $35 and then discovered that they are discussed on miata.net (should have looked there first I suppose)... These are not the air horns, or the disc type horns, but are the high 108db compact trumpet horns (Hella 85104). They seem right for the job...

Christopher Muto

Those look almost identical to the Wicked Louds, but at a considerably better price. It looks like that $35.00 is to get them to your door. The Wicked Louds were almost $50.00 before shipping the last time I saw them being sold.

I think that you will like these. Let us know!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Electrically all the models are the same (12V) so I suppose there may be some difference in the wiring harness or the length of the bracket. $99 is TOP dollar for two horns and a relay. You should be able to get two horns and a relay for less than half that.

Reply to
Natman

Thanks everybody. I put the Hella on my holiday wish list.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I replaced the horn on my 2002 Miata and I am pleased with the horn that I finally decided on. I purchased it on the website I have noted below. I am very pleased with the unit.

This is a very unique air horn in that it does not have an external compressor, no air tubing and has dual horns all in one small package. It will fit all Miata years up to but not including 2006. The horn mounts at the same location as your stock unit and even uses the same mounting bracket and wires.

Before you buy another horn for your Miata you must check this sight out! I replaced my horn in about 20 mins. NO DRILLING NO CUTTING JUST MOUNT IT.

Reply to
paul