Replacement Horn

Hi,

I need to replace the horn on the Landy, as it has packed up. This doesn't bother me because I wanted a louder horn. It just doesn't seem right not being able to hear it over the engine / music. Anyway, it appears that the various aftermarket ones need to have relays and the like, which I can't be hassled with wiring in.

Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement that is 1) Loud, 2) easy to install.

The vehicle is a '98 Defender 110

Cheers David

Reply to
Dave

Surely a £5 relay, inline fuse and a few spade connectors and a bit of wire is no hardship?

Try

for thebits you'll need. If you cant see it give them a ring - they are verygood at advising people (like me) who dont know exactly what they needbut know what they want to do - if that makes sense! Why not remove the existing horn and put the "low current" side of the relay where the horn was (OK you may need to extend wire to protect from the elements) and then run a new fused feed and return direct from the battery to new horn and "high current" side of relay, along the chassis rail, up the engine side of the bulkhead, along the underside of the wing and to your new horn...

A few hours work tops..

Jon

Reply to
Jon

In message , Dave writes

Louder means more power, which mean either fit relay with better supply line, or replace existing wiring and switch cos they could overload and fail. That's why the after market ones have relays and the like.

Reply to
hugh

we kept a normal one on our 90 but also added twin air horns. I have a change over switch on the dash so I can choose which I want. Bit like the old town and country hooters of yesteryear I suppose. The air horns are very loud!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Get a pair of horns of a citroen ZX they are a bit like a air horn but they are totaly a self contained unit so no need to wire relays ect ect and they sound better than the normal standard landy horn

Reply to
bellautos

On or around 20 Jul 2005 05:21:38 -0700, "Dave" enlightened us thusly:

triple airhorns. The existing wiring should have enough oomph for the pump...

actually, my ideal horn would be a pair of the big chromed-brass ones they put on the top of american trucks. Needs dunno if the ordinary air-horn compressors have enough puff for 'em, mind. Might put some on top of the new beast, if I can afford 'em, which is the other problem, that and the fact that people are likely to half-inch same.

Mind, there used to be a lot who sold 12V "diesel train horns".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One of the traders at the Peterborough Truckfest had them, and they were available with either 12V or 24V compressor

Reply to
Robin

so Dave was, like...

These people

do several in their catalogue:

I got the compact trumpet horn for the trialler (*only* to be used on getting a "clear") and it's pretty loud. It's only really a beefier version of a standard horn, so it will be fine on your existing wiring.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:39:48 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I like the sound of the 170dB ones, but they're 24V only.

smaller chrome ones look nice, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles