91 Rear Window

I purchased a used 91 four years ago. Had an almost new top at the time. Now, the zipper has pulled away from window panel, tearing the window panel. Local shop said they could re-sew the top, but likely to tear again. ( I think they are right)

What's a reasonable price for a new window/zipper? I live in a rural area in MD and local (only) convertible shop is quoting almost $700.

Reply to
Margarita Mike

You can get a whole new OEM-quality top for under $300 from duettomotors.com, and install it yourself.

There's no point in replacing just the window curtain--the other side of the zipper will be coming out of the top soon.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

thanks.

priced seemed high. When I bought the car, seems to me the previous owner said he had spent $500 for the new top.

Reply to
Margarita Mike

You may just want to go the extra mile and spend $489.00 on a top with a glass window. Here is a link:

Brian.....

Margarita Mike wrote:

Reply to
DBLZOOM

You may just want to go the extra mile and spend $489.00 on a top with a glass window. Here is a link:

Brian.....

Margarita Mike wrote:

Reply to
DBLZOOM

Have you installed a miata top onto a frame? I did not find it to be that difficult, even doing the M1 frame/M2 top modification, but some people find it to be impossible. I know two people that rebuild engines and automatic transmissions that won't even think about working on a convertible top, describing the job as "too difficult" & "too many problems". (hmmmm)

Here in Austin, the local miata "guru" will install your top for about $150.00, iirc, so you are coming out to right about $450.00 to $500.00 total for a new top with installation.

Some of the local shops want an insane amount to put a new top on. That sounds like the kind of place the OP showed up at and got a $700.00 quote from. I think that one place quoted me over $600.00 in labor alone, ha!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I've replaced my top twice, once w/ a Robbins w/ glass window. Did that one myself (w/ a friends help), it sucked. Second time was after the first one got slashed.

I bought a Duetto no-zip for $375 shipped. Had it installed by a local shop for $225 (a good price, I'd expect to pay closer to $300-$350 normally, in fact, the shop complained that it took quite a bit longer than they expected to do the job).

Glass window is definately the way to go (unless you have rollbar restrictions). And I love the no-zip style, much quicker up & down (like the newer tops).

Installing yourself is certainly an option.. I had a lot of trouble w/ the Robbins (looked good once we finished, just took about 12hrs to get there). Don't know if the Duetto was easier/harder. I had insurance $ the second time, so didn't mind paying someone else to do it. If I were paying for it myself, I'd be very tempted to try to do it myself even after the first bad experience. Just make sure you have plenty of time and a good friend to help. Duetto gives their own instructions that are supposed to be pretty good, there's also a lot of info on

-Scott

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Scott Hughes

It requires a somewhat different mind set. It is just not enough to see whether the top "fits correctly" in say the header, you have to be aware that it is a compliant medium and get it exactly straight or you will get creases. If you rebuild an engine, if the screw fits correctly, it fits, period.

Mike said he lives in a rural area, so they may not have much experience with Miata tops. Shops without experience in aftermarket tops tend to look at them with suspicion, (I know that they looked at my Brainstorm glass window with suspicion), so they probably figured on installing an Mazda OEM top.

In fact they charged me $150 to just put in the window, and that was 10 years ago with lots of competition in a low labor cost market, and that only after they had seen the window. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen