replacement top for 91

Bought a used 91 Miata. Now needs a new top. Rear window zipper gone and now cracking/splitting."

Local convetile top guy says "You buy the top and I'll install it."

recommendations for top?

glass window?

Longevity of tops with glass windows?

Reply to
coach

That's a fairly 'meaty' discussion. You'll probably get some good info here but I'm sure you can read countless reviews / opinions on miata.net. Probably worth the time.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Here's a summary of NA (89-97) top replacement that I hope will help you... There are many replacement tops available and there are considerations about appearance, cost, and quality. They can be purchased in the original relatively maintenance free vinyl or the more expensive and fancy looking cloth (which requires waterproofing from time to time and is less forgiving about clean up with contact to unusual things like tree sap). The top can be exactly like your original, made from two pieces, one for the top and one for the window, or it can come in one piece. The top can be of the non-zipped or zipped type and can have a plastic or glass window. To install a non-zipped top on a NA (89-97) requires some drilling into the second and third bows for the installation of some straps that keep the top positioned correctly when closed. In this configuration the top it not attached to the third box and you have to reach inside to pinch the third box toward the second when opening the top (and vice versa when closing the top). Not a big deal at all, but different than what you are used to. It is worth buying a new rain rail (gutter that runs along the rear edge of the top) if you have no idea of the condition of the current one. An old rain rail will likely be riddled with cracks that cause leaks and to patch it with silicon is time consuming and may not work. Also, there are cables that run along the side of the top that might need to replacement. These are called top tension cables. If the top it loose around the edges against the windows, your cable may have snapped and need replacement. If the top seems fine then you probably do not have to replace these. There are many dealers for tops and the short list is: Robbins (available from miatamania.com and others) Duettomotors.com (sells robins and their own) - offer good installation instructions with purchase) Kwiktops.com (sells robbins and their own) For what it is worth, I highly recommend getting a glass window. Being able to see is the best safety feature you have. Since I like the original oem style two piece look better than the one piece, and I like the cloth better than the vinyl, that is what I got. But, if on a budget, or for a car that simply isn't long for this world, it might make more sense to get a inexpensive vinyl top with plastic window for as little as $200.

ps. I have seen that some of the one piece glass windowed tops do not sit as low as the stock top when opened. This means that with those models you can not use the original boot to cover the open top. The animated one piece top on duetto.com is a perfect example of this, showing the open top sitting above the beltline when opened. I am not certain, but I think that this was an issue with earlier robbin tops and they have since sorted out the problem - worth asking robbins about it before ordering or you may be looking at getting a new boot too.

"coach" wrote in message news:rZadnV7U5spOzrPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@metrocastcablevision.com...

Reply to
Christoper Muto

'box' should read as 'bow'...

Reply to
Christoper Muto

Beautiful post, Chris. This should be archived somewhere to be referenced by anyone looking to do their NA tops without prior knowledge on what to expect.

The only thing that I would add is the option to install a 1999-2005 top on a 1989-1997 Miata. It is an exact, perfect-fit swap out if you also use the 1999-2005 top frame, or it will need some modification to fit the newer top onto a NA Miata top frame.

An expensive upgrade from the factory, but you can sometimes get lucky and find someone selling the entire frame and top from a NB Miata that they are turning into a race track toy.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yeah!

Having had a '93 with the zippered plastic window and a '99 with the fixed glass window, I can tell you that the glass one is a lot easier to see through than an 11-year-old scratched plastic one, and it only takes five seconds to drop the top on my '99 compared with 20-30 seconds for the zipper top. (The reason it used to take so long is because I'd always a.) lay a towel on the rear deck, b.) unzip the window, c.) lay another towel over the window, and d.) drop the top.)

But if I ever have to replace my '99's top I'll be looking for a top with an unzippable plastic window anyway. They're cheaper, the window is bigger, and when they're less than eight or nine years old (and the '93 spent its entire life under the plastic-eating Florida sun) they're pretty much equally transparent. The big advantage to me is that I could drive around with the top up and the rear window down, which is real nice either in the hottest part of the Florida summer with the sun beating down on my balding head, or also during our interminable monsoon season. Also if you absent-mindedly lock your keys in the car, all you have to do is slip your hand between the top and the window, push on the slider from behind and unzip the window, and presto you're in.

If I lived some place where it snows, I'd probably go for the glass window, though, as it wouldn't crack in the cold and it has an electric heater built into it.

Yours jp

Reply to
johnny p.

"Don't look back, something might be gaining on you!" -Sachel Paige.

Reply to
XS11E

thanks pat, but after re-reading it i think i could have done a bit better. though the fundamental issues are indeed there. your suggestion about fitting the NB (99-2005) top on a NA is a good one i overlooked. to understand it correctly, one has to install a nb top with frame, correct? and the bennifit of doing so is to have frame that is spring loaded so one does not have to pinch the second and thrid bows together/apart to open/clost the top, right?

Reply to
Christoper Muto

Not true, Chris. My 90 has a Robbins top with glass window and the taller rests; the original top boot works just fine.

I chronicled my experience putting this top on the car here:

Interesting to note that my repair of the tension cable is still holding up fine eight years later.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

ken, i recall reading your posting when i was building my courage to do my top a few years back. thanks for that. if i understand you correctly, you are saying that the robins glass top (of about 2000 vintage) does sit higher than the belt line when open but the boot still fits anyway. i am curious to know if it is a zipper or zipperless top. and if zipperless, is it is single piece or two piece style. interesting that they duetto (and i think moss also) people told me i would have to get a new boot along with the robins top when i was shopping a couple of years back. they did say that they older robins tops sat very high when open but the newer ones are not as pronounced. perhaps his information was based on the older models and the new ones don't have a fitment problem with the boot, or perhaps he was just being a salesman and trying to sell something regardless of my needs... but the kwiktops zipperless two piece glass top does not sit higher that the belt line (like the oem). wonder what they do differently. the glass window in both is mazda oem glass so it can't be that. possibly it has to do with a slight difference in the location of the window that results in better folding. ps. did your daughter ever get the car?

Reply to
Christoper Muto

Same for the Robbins no-zip glass top I installed on our '90. While the top sits higher, the boot does fit. I compared the folded top height to my

1997's original here:
Ken Lyons

Couldn't prove it by me, my NA had a glass window Kwiktop when I bought it and I ordered my tonneau cover for the glass window top. When I got the new Robbins zippless top, the cover fit fairly snugly for a month or so but now it's got some extra room and I believe a standard tonneau cover would fit now w/o much stretching.

So, the top sits higher and.... it may not make any difference as you and KWS point out.

Reply to
XS11E

There are two stops for the top frame. The stops are plastic and, if I recall correctly, are secured with one screw. The top came with new stops that were taller. Therefore, the frame, when compressed (top down) sits higher. I think they did this to keep pressure off the glass when the top is folded. At that time, I did not challenge their wisdom and used the new stops. i am curious

It is a zippered top. and if zipperless, is it is

In my case, there is no OEM glass since the '90 did not come with a glass window.

possibly it has to

She did and used it while she was a student at UC Davis. Upon graduation, she was employed and (with a little help from her Dad) bought a Mazda Protege in the last year of production. The car came back to me and has been my daily driver for several years.

The bad news was that she had the top slashed in the parking lot of her apartment building. I did a reasonable repair that has held up fine, but it is obvious. Other than that, the top performs well and the glass rear window continues to be a significant upgrade. Perhaps when a few more dolllars are available, I'll do the top again. Right now, I am contemplating changing the clutch, but first want to pass 200,000 miles on the original one. That's about 1500 miles off.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

coach, I bought a '90 last year w/ a new zippered glass window. Love it! I believe the brand is E-Z.

Chip L

Reply to
Chip L