Bad noise from clutch

My '94 recently started making noise when I engage the clutch. It's not always there, but most of the time at idle or low revs (probably still there, just gets drowned out at higher revs) I hear a grinding-type noise. Maybe more like halfway between a grind and a squeal, it's weird. It is affected by the gear shift, but not with a direct correlation. Sometimes it complains when I just have the clutch down, sometimes it starts when I put it in gear (w/ the clutch still down) & visa versa. Letting the clutch out (even half-way) makes it go away. It'll be going to my mechanic in a few weeks for an oil change, so obviously he'll be able to check it then, but is this something that needs more immediate attention? Any guesses what I may be facing? As I said, it's a '94, and I'm just short of 170k mi.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

It might be as simple as a little bit of grease needed on the yoke fingers, or a dry throwout bearing. Getting grease in the right place without disassembly of other than a rubber cover that the yoke goes thru might be a challenge.

Reply to
Chuck