Cigarette Lighter Replacement

My second hand '95 came with a defective cigarette lighter and I could not find instructions on how to replace it For what it is worth, here is how I got mine installed. Proceed at your own risk. The part cost $28 from finishlineperformance.com. You probably should study it to see how the metal body fits into the plastic ring (requires a specific alignment to fit into the ring) and the shape of the two prong electrical connector found on the rear (right angle). Note that if your press it all the way into the plastic ring you will have a hard time removing it (best leave the full insertion for the final installation. Remove the dash plate found under the steering wheel (two phillips head screws found at lower edge of this plate and then it falls away). Reach in to the back of the lighter and feel for the plastic connector attached to the rear of the lighter. You should find a tab that once depressed allows the connector to slide off without much effort. Once the power is disconnected you need to remove the lighter body. It is held in with tabs that in theory could be depressed and have it slide out. But in reality it is not accessible so removing it from the front is easier, thought destructive of the lighter body (but it is already broken so who cares). Delicately grab the front edge of the metal rim of the lighter with needle nose pliers to crush it and ultimately remove it. You want to be careful so that you don't scratch your dash. Once it is removed the black ring that surrounds the lighter will also come free. Note that the black ring and hole in the dash has a notch on one edge which need to be in alignment when inserting the replacement lighter body. Align the black ring and the plastic lighter ring (orange colored on older lighters, green on newer ones, but otherwise identical) and insert in the hole in the dash. Align the lighter body and insert into the dash. Twist the assembly and push in firmly and it will lock into place. Reach behind the lighter and attach the electrical connector. Replace the lower dash panel. I found that with the ignition off there is no power sent to the lighter so this was done without disconnecting the battery or pulling any fuses. But you should check this for yourself on your car. Good luck.

Reply to
Christopher Muto