Visited yesterday!

I visited my 1992 Miata yesterday at the shop, it's original paint is almost completely removed and most of the prep work is done so it can be painted today. They didn't plan to strip the car but when they tried to sand it, huge chunks of paint flaked off revealing no primer beneath (typical of 1990-199? cars after the EPA outlawed previous painting techniques) so they decide to strip the entire car and they said they used a blow gun on a high pressure air hose and were able to remove almost all of the paint with nothing but air pressure!

I've got to stop buying early '90s cars, I'm getting tired of having to have them painted.....

It should be home tomorrow.

Reply to
XS11E

so they decide to strip the entire car and they

Can I guess that your Miata was a White car? The early Whites were known to flake off.

Reply to
Lugnut

Yes, so was my Jeep but most colors did about the same in those days.

Reply to
XS11E

Alone if you don't count red and blue...

Reply to
XS11E

"Lugnut" wrote

Right. The body panels of our red '90 that are original paint aren't flaking, just going dead.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

hence the term 'catastrophic' I would agree the white was the only Miata color in that category.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

-------------

I hear you Ken. Red has always been a fader in all marques and after seventeen years, you can almost bet money on it. I've seen some plastic noses and rear finish panels fade in half of that time. The early Whites from Miata were in a different class altogether.

Reply to
Lugnut

Guess I've only got three years left to enjoy my red '94. Its NXT shine is still about 30 feet deep.

The key is keeping after it, so it doesn't fade in the first place. A garage or car cover doesn't hurt, either.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The time frame is different around here :)

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN SOUTH CAROLINA IN JULY WHEN. . . .

The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, 'What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?'

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

:)

Reply to
Lugnut

I thought all that was pertaining to TX! Ouch.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Both Texas and South Carolina have nice, cool summers, it seldom even gets to 115F! You guys must run the heater all summer long....

Reply to
XS11E

Uh Oh, here it comes ........ that dry heat thing ;-) I gotta say, Phoenix is tough in the summer. Great in the 'winter' months though!

Chris (much family in Phoenix!)

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Dunno about that. My red '91 had perfectly fine paint after 15 years and

121K miles when I traded it in. Body was straight and totally unrusted and the only mark on it was a slight (shopping cart?) ding about the size of my thumb. Certainly no sign of flaking paint. Hell, it still had her original top, albeit with a replacement window. Worst exterior problem was that the windshield was pretty well sandblasted and should have been replaced.
Reply to
John McGaw

Do you have a garage? That makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
XS11E

Of course. That is a given. I guess a good car cover might work as well despite being a major PITA.

Reply to
John McGaw

Well, Friday has come and gone, along with Saturday and most of Sunday...

Maybe tomorrow? Don't know why they didn't get it done Friday?

Reply to
XS11E

Got call this morning, they are stripping the hood and deck lid to be repainted because the first paint didn't look right.....

I reminded them those are the two aluminum panels but they said that wasn't a factor, the problem appeared to be improper preparation.

I guess I'm pleased they won't release bad work but I miss my Miata!

I'm planning a trip to the store today but I'll take the hot rod:

'3 Mine's black, I wanted it to show the dirt better...

Reply to
XS11E

They called Monday, said it would be home Tuesday but no car.

Today, it's here! It looks great, they not only painted it but detailed EVERYTHING, even the wiper arms are painted dull black.

I imagine it looks much like it did when it was new...

I'm happy and the pidgeons are delighted, they have their bathroom back!

Reply to
XS11E

That's exciting! Pictures? Pictures! Congrats!

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo