Clutch Fails But Reservoir Full

The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no pressure at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark at the bottom.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
mjb920

The slave cylinder doesn't have to let fluid out for the clutch to fail. All it has to do is let air in. Fortunately it is relatively easy to change, just remove the RF wheel and there it is.

Reply to
Natman

pressure

Thanks for the info. I guess the crud at the bottom of the reservoir would be from the slave cylinder? I saw a decent article on replacing the slave on miata.net.

Reply to
mjb920

The clutch fluid seems to turn black regularly. In theory it could be either the master or slave that is failing. In practice it seems that the slave fails first most of the time.

Reply to
Natman