'98 Galant How to bleed Clutch?

Original fluid in there and the clutch engages when the pedal is near the floor. I'm thinking some new clutch fluid might help. Am I thinking right? BTW, the reservoir is full. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
KenDoo

Look for fluid weeping past the master and slave cylinders. I don't see any benefit in changing out the fluid, it's not like it's going to get hot and boil. Bleed the clutch and then adjust.

simpleton

The bleed output is on the left when you look down from the front. Very close to transmission. I once attempted to change fluid but the mechanic apparently did not know the procedure and was rather reluctant. He was very willing to change brake fluid though. I am curious whether fluid change would help you - please let us know on the group. I do have original service manual but they do not say a word on this. BTW anybody knows how to remove rear drums for brakie linings replacement ?

floor. I'm thinking some new clutch fluid might help.

Reply to
MXW

Thanks guys...will attempt next week.

Reply to
KenDoo

It can help a bit, not much though. The biggest problem with the clutch fluid is actually the rubber plug in the master cylinder. It dissolves over the years and destroys the fluid, although I'm not sure which is the chicken or egg here. If the master or slave isn't leaking, it can't hurt. It's really easy to do if you have a helper or a speed bleeder in the slave. Personally I'd get the master rebuild kit (it's 30-40 bucks) and rebuild at the same time. It takes about 45 minutes if you take your time.

Regardless, the bleeder valve is at the transmission. Follow the line down where it meets the clutch fork or find the linkage. It's right there on the passenger, front.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know