Colorado driving

I am looking for some pointers on good roads, or just good general areas to drive through in Colorado, coming from Texas, sometime in mid to late July.

This will be my first trip there, probably passing through to California for a visit, but I shouldn't be in a big hurry and I was hoping to camp out along the way for a night or two.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

You MUST drive from Cortez through Dolores, through Rico, to Telluride to Placerville to Ridgeway to Ouray, Silverton, Durango or do the reverse (You'll note it's a loop).

It's worth spending a couple of days, have the top down or take a motorcycle and prepare to stop ever 30 seconds for Kodak Moments!

There's KOAs along the way, a VERY nice campground right on the west side of the main drag in Dolores, etc.

NOTE: I've never been there in a car and I haven't ridden in 10 years so the above info is at least that old.

Reply to
XS11E

Oh my. Only two nights? Camp in National Forest campgrounds, at high elevation to stay nice and cool. 9000' is good.

We spent almost two weeks one summer doing all the paved Continental Divide passes in Colorado, plus a dozen or so more "lesser" passes between them. There are so many gotta-see places in Colorado.

XS11E's Silverton loop is an excellent suggestion. Or you might want to go Durango to Ouray, then up to Grand junction to visit Flyin' Miata.

Expect motorhome traffic and construction. Don't be in a hurry--if you arrive at a campground early, enjoy the opportunity to veg out and savor the scenery. No time spent in the high country is wasted.

BTW, you will need mosquito repellent.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks Lanny and XS11E, I will mark those on my map!

I may stay longer than two days, trying to leave the schedule open for any possibilities.

Pat

Reply to
pws