Cougar Ace: "most cars salvageable"

For those interested in the ongoing plight of the Cougar Ace, this is interesting news:

The vehicles onboard did not tumble or crash when the ship listed, the Coast Guard said. Each was secured to the ship with a "single point device", according to Mazda.

But as far as the Coast Guard could determine, "there was minimal damage to the cars,". Some seawater seeped in around the wheels of some vehicles, but generally the ship was watertight.

From

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

What an oppurtunity for those that make bumper stickers..

Mazda's with an "I Survived "Cougar Ace" stickers on them.. or more subtly, those white oval "internationals" with just "CA"..

(I can see the myriad of conversations that start with "I didn't know you were from California" !!!!)

Reply to
Remove This

Guard said.

the cars,".

Most excellent. It sucks that at least one person died in the salvage operation, but it is obviously a dangerous business. Hopefully it will be smoother sailing from here.

Still hard to believe there isn't more damage to the vehicles with the ship that far over. I would like to see some pics of the hold.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Looks like Mazda (or more precisely, their insurance company) dodged a bullet.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Guard said.

the cars,".

Unlike this one. Wahey - a few less badly-driven Beemers in the world!

Zog The Undeniable

Guard said.

the cars,".

I would certainly consider a vehicle that came off the ship. At least as long as everything about its history and damage was fully revealed and the warranty was left intact. Oh yeah, and as long as the cost was cut considerably. I actually bought a Fiat(yeah, I know) from a shipment which suffered an onboard fire on the way to the US. All the cargo suffered from at least some smoke damage and the worst of them were pretty horrible, smelling like a fire in a dumpster even after cleaning. But the price was right and I was in the military and didn't have any money to spare. The car was as close to perfect a runner as any Fiat can be expected to be and lasted for a very long time with many trips across the country and even to Alaska with only one actual breakdown.

Reply to
John McGaw

Coast Guard said.

damage to the cars,".

Reply to
Chuck

But are they "damaged". That's the question...

Reply to
Remove This

Apparently, most of the cars were not damaged; they just sat at an angle in a boat for a month or so. If none of the fluids leaked out, they're still new cars, right?

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

"Dana H. Myers" wrote in news:UoSdnUXGiO8lUGDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You can bet the dealers will sell them as new cars if none of the fluids leaked out or OTOH if they were totally smashed, filled with water and required extensive repairs. Either way, they'll be sold as new.

New car = car that has never been titled.

Reply to
XS11E

Sure, of course; I was really speaking to the condition of the cars, more than the legal status.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers