Cracks in soft top

The tan vinyl top on my 1999 Miata has developed a small (about 1/4 inch) crack on each side where the top folds, just above the window. The top doesn't seem to leak yet. Can anyone recommend some kind of goop that will seal the cracks and stay flexible enough to withstand the folding?

Barry

Reply to
Barry

liquid electrical tape from a hardware store has worked for me in the same spot Loren

Reply to
the invisible man

Barry, I get the impression that all the 99's have this problem. Although I don't feel the top should last forever, many are still in quite good shape overall and have this seam opening up. Anyway, mine was split open about 4 inches on each side when I bought the car almost 2 years ago now. I cleaned up the surfaces real good with alcohol and glued them together with Permatex brand silicone adhesive (used on / in engines). Just enough to make good consistent contact. I put some pressure on it while drying (you've got to get creative here) and after it was dry, I masked off just a little bit of the vinyl on each side and applied a nice neat bead. Smoothed it with my finger and pulled the tape off. It's looked real good (nobody's ever noticed it actually) .It's definitely gotten me by as the top looks and works great otherwise.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo