Disabling the console trunk release

Since I can't lock my center console, this seemed like a very good idea but I'm unable to remove the lock?

It says: "Two bolts hold the lock in place, remove them with a 10mm socket. The lock should now be free. The easiest way to remove the cylinder is to first remove the tag light assembly closest to the lock cylinder. From inside the trunk remove the three 10mm nuts holding the tag light assembly in place. Pull the tag light straight back into the trunk. You should now be able to reach through the hole left where the tag light was to help pull the lock cylinder out."

I can't do this, the lock is jammed solidly between the rear panel and the inner panel. I can wiggle it but there no room to get it out? Has anyone done this? What am I missing?

Help please?

Reply to
XS11E

The Plastic rear bumper is flexable. You can gently wedge it out enough to remove and replace the lock. (Asuming the bumper has not gotten hard and brittle from age and sun.) Alternately, you might think about loosening the bumper mounting bolts. Once out modifying the lock is simple if you pay attention to the garage article. You may have problems getting the lock and a foam? gasket back in place. I finally omitted the gasket, and things went back together nicely. (99)

Reply to
Chuck

"Chuck" wrote in news:zCsVd.80$Fy.50@okepread04:

Since I posted, I found removal is easy, all that's needed is brute strength and stupidity and I have some of each so... it's out! It's modified! I can't get it back in but my back is now hurting so bad I'm through for the day and will try pushing out the bumper tomorrow. Thanks for the info, I'll get it done some how!

BTW, that gasket had the lock stuck firmly in place, I couldn't move it. Finally put both screws back in a few turns and pushed on them, it popped loose and I was able pry it out.

Reply to
XS11E

Did you look at the comments on

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, I missed that! I think some of those tips will get it done for me.

Now it's off to SWMBO for a delicious home cooked meal and I'm going to try and finagle a back massage!

Reply to
XS11E

This is a great mod.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Only if you trust yourself to lock the trunk each time.

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30-ext.news.prodigy.com:

Yes, it works and I'm pleased with it.

Personally, I believe the instructions are incorrect, the very first step should be to disconnect and remove the right taillight assembly completely. This leaves a very large hole that one can reach through, grab the release rod and pull it to release the trunk if it should be closed accidentally. Next, right above the right taillight and just above and to the right of the lock is one nut that holds the right most upper end of the fascia, it can be removed, the license plate removed, the two screws hidden by the plate removed and then the fascia can be pulled very easily away an inch or more making removal and replacement of the lock and easy task.

Reply to
XS11E

As I posted before, it's done!

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the help I've got from this newsgroup, couldn't have done it w/o you!

Reply to
XS11E

through,

removed,

replacement

I agree, that is how I did mine. Caution: Only problem I had was the spring that closes the 'door' for the keyhole. It was rusty and snapped when I was trying to asseble the lock. Luckily, my dad had a collection of small springs and I was able to modify one to work.

- Phil

Reply to
Phil

It's been a while since I've done this mod, but I think I've done like you stated above. I couldn't do it following the instructions on miata.net either. At the time, I didn't think the instructions were incorrect, just that my car was peculiar or I wasn't doing something right. Over the years though, I found several incorrect information there that never gets corrected, so I tend to agree with you that the miata.net instructions are just incorrect.

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

Marcio Watanabe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Or maybe incomplete just... I erred by immediately following the link to the instructions w/o reading the follow ups from people who had tried this. Now that it's all done, I think the guy who removed the entire rear fascia must have had the easiest time and, having removed one of the tail lights and the license plate, he had to have spent 1/2 the time I did struggling to replace the lock with the fascia in place.

Next time I try something there, I'll read the follow ups FIRST!

Reply to
XS11E