I've got a sinking feeling about this...

... and it's under my foot.

So the consensus is pretty much that Chinese master cylinders are crap, but what about American rebuilds such as Cardone? I'm leaning towards new but I could save 40 bucks with a rebuild, so do the big names know how to get a rebuilt MC right yet?

Reply to
runderwo

Cardone is a big name that has the market cornered on lots of items. They cornered the market strictly by price, NOT by quality. My stepson bought 4 "rebuilt" A1 Cardone calipers for his 76 Corvette and all leaked with the year. I once bought an A1 Cardone PS pump for an old Celica -- genuine Toyota part was not easily available but that's no excuse. It leaked at an outlet fitting. I removed the fitting to find a 20 year old dry, brittle cracked "O" ring. Clearly they had done nothing but paint a used pump.

By new. If the car is Japanese made buy new made in Japan.

Don

Don

Cardone, I have to second this.... I had the bushings inside my maverick's distributor fail from old age a few years back. All I could find was cardone rebuilds. First one I got was really cheesy. crappy made replacement parts inside _and_ the vacume retard didn't work. Took it back to carquest. They found the vacume retard was intentionally plugged by the rebuilder. They had gotten another one, same thing, but this one had been done better and still had OEM parts inside of it. Figuring this was as good as it was going to get I took it.

I then replaced the vacume advance/retard diaphragm with the original and went to put it in. They had put an as-cast O-ring bushing where on the original it was machined. To swap them meant disassembling both distributors entirely. So I got to sanding the as cast surface smooth. Sand, test fit, sand, test fit, so and so on until I got a tight but acceptable fit.

I ate the core charge and kept my original. If there should be another problem I will do more two into one or just have the original fully redone properly.

Reply to
Brent P

OEM it is. Thanks all.

Reply to
runderwo

Does anyone still make rebuild kits?

Reply to
clifto

Maybe somewhere online or special order, haven't seen one since the early

90s though.
Reply to
Brent P

O'Reilly has a rebuild kit listed for my Honda. I'm a bit hesitant to try to rebuild it myself because I don't have a garage or most of my tools for the moment.

Reply to
runderwo

Your Honda will have an aluminum master cylinder. "Rebuilding" aluminum master cylinders is not a good idea. They corrode and can not be honed without removing what is left of the protective anodized finish.

Go new. Any brand made in Japan will be fine.

Don

Don

Will do, thanks!

Reply to
runderwo

The OP can get a rebuild kit either from Toyota or any parts store.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B