Emulating Leon

Don't know why I couldn't have picked living in a place with year-round good weather, chose to install a supercharger, picked a career that provides tenure, or even bought a white Miata. Instead I chose to leave the oil filler cap off after changing the oil on the '97 last weekend.

I drove it for the first time this morning and was distraught to see smoke billowing from under the hood while stuck in rush hour traffic. I am fortunate the Miata's valve cover is a perfect shape to retain the loose cap under most driving conditions. Screwed it back on, wiped oil off of everything and all is OK. Wiped oil off of everything again. Plan to wipe oil off of everything again tomorrow.

I just feel better knowing a rocket scientist has done this very same stupid move.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Some oil is still coming off. I have been told the oil is bad for many things in the engine bay, including wire insulation. I used Simple Green, covering off the charcoal canister and the air filter with plastic bags and the cam cover with aluminum foil held down by weights.

I would not call it stupid. It is not generally recommended, certainly.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

"Leon van Dommelen" wrote

I'm thinking serious about taking the hood (bonnet) off and using Simple Green and major amounts of water. Time for an engine bay detailing.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Once you get it all cleaned up, there is an amazing product you should give it a try. It's called 'engine detailer' by CD2 and it is the only way to finish off the engine bay. I've done may cars and people are blown away. The nice thing is that it lasts awhile, keeps your hoses plyable and makes everything much more cleanable for the next time but doesn't make it slimmy.

Good luck, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo