Odd oil leak

My 110 is leaking some oil from the top of the engine from a row of large bolts that go into the head on the top right of the engine as you look at it. Not seen one leak from here before, can someone enlighten me as to what these bolts are and how to stop the leak please?

Andy

1996 110 CSW 300tdi
Reply to
Andy Cooke

Sorry, just to be clear, I think the bolts are for the valve cover, should they have some sort of seal??

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Let me have a look, under the sound deadening?

Reply to
Nige

I'm in tomorrow morning after school run if you want?

Reply to
Nige

Had another look in better light, they are actually the head bolts that run front to rear to the right of the oil filler cap, all are weeping a fair bit of oil. Any ideas? Could they be torqued incorrectly or should they be replaced do you think folks?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

I wouldnt mind a look matey before i comment, are you sure they are head bolts?

Reply to
Nige

I'll bet they are Nige. The rocker cover will be leaking oil down that sits round them and thenbubbles away making it look like they're leaking.

Reply to
EMB

I have a manual here & the ones that are on the rocker cover aren't head bolts & they should have a rubber sealing washer on them. None of the head bolts go through the rocker cover from this manual.

Reply to
Nige

Deffo the head bolts, there doesn't appear to be any oil from the rocker cover as this area is all clean and dry, guess I need to check the torque of the head bolts (have you got a Torque wrench Nige and do you know what they should be tightened to?), otherwise could it be the head gasket itself?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

.. and is the 'oil' very very black and almost impossible to clean up? Any of it on the bulkhead to the rear of the cylinder head?

Reply to
Dougal

Nope it's easy to wipe up, looking at the head again, the 8 bolts from rear to front all have oil pooling around the base whereas the front one is totally dry. Wiped it all clean to check it's not the rocker gasket but it doesn't seem possible as the head bolts are in a slightly raised casting so oil could not climb up I doubt.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

That's probably goodish news. If there's a head gasket leak involving the escape of combustion products there's a carbon/oil mix that is filthy stuff.

Reply to
Dougal

Dipstick tube ok?

It's not blowing up it?