Fading paint on one panel

The chartreuse yellow paint on the emergency vehicles seems to be equal to red in daytime visibility, but much better at night. Around here we also have several fire companies running white trucks.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

Yep. Greenish-yellow is the most visible color due to the sensitivity of photoreceptors in the eye. Fire truck yellow was chosen for this very reason. From what I understand many fire departments have switched back to red because people expect red emergency vehicles and don't respond as quickly to green-yellow. They've added reflective stripes and green patches for visibility too.

Red is a great color for stealth at night because it turns to an indistinguishable gray-black in low light.

-John

Reply to
Generic

What did I tell you? :) Speed counts.