Fuel Filter

In my Haynes Manual for my 96 Miata, it says before removing Fuel Filter to change it, the fuel pressure must be relieved first. Is this necessary? To do this it says to start the engine; then unplug the fuel pump relay connector; wait for the engine to stall; this relieves the pressure. Are these the correct steps?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:m_Zrg.2945$bd4.1407@trnddc01:

Yes. There's pressure remaining in the system, if you open up a fuel line w/o releasing the pressure you'll have fuel spraying all over.

If you don't releave the pressure you probably shouldn't be smoking....

Reply to
XS11E

These are the correct steps, but you can also clamp off the fuel lines, pull and replace the filter, and then unclamp the lines. This will keep the system pressurized. You do have to be careful not to damage the rubber fuel hose or the metal fuel lines.

This will also result in less fuel being spilled since it will only leak out what is in the old filter.

If you do depressurize it first, inserting a bic pen cap in the end of each open rubber line will keep spilling to a minimum, but you are going to smell like gasoline at the end of it either way.

Good luck, other than the need to get underneath the car, it is an easy job.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Or a golf tee.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I just let it sit over night and then replace it. If you work in a garage, and someone brings in a car, you probably have to relieve it.

Reply to
news

Well, I know this is not a Chevy newsgroup, but the procedure in my Chilton manual for my Chevy S10 is vague. It says to relieve the pressure before working on the fuel system. It says to first loosen the fuel filler cap. Then, if it is a TBI system (whatever that is) it has an internal bleed feature. If it is a MFI system, it says to loosen the fuel line outlet fitting on the fuel filter. Simply let it drain. Is that all there is to it on a car like that?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Throttle body injection: there's only one injector, and it's mounted on the throttle body (sort of below where the carb would be if it had one).

Multi-port fuel injection: there's one injector per cylinder.

Sounds reasonable -- especially since the shop manual says so.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The fuel pump is in the gas tank. Loosen the gas cap and that drepressuizes the whole thing. The pressure will be relieved through the fuel pump into the gas tank. Filter is up agains the firewall. Loosen the top nut first.

Reply to
M. Cantera

M. Cantera wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Only if the fuel pump has defective valves. That will NOT depressurize the system if everything is working correctly.

Reply to
XS11E

The GM prodecure to relieve the pressure for the throtle body and mfi S10 engines is to remove the gas cap and wait five minutes (as explained in the manual) The fuel line pressure is relived through a pressure relief orifice that allows the fuel back into the gas tank once the pressure in the gas tank is relieved by opening the system to the atmosphere.

The exepti>M. Cantera wrote in

Reply to
M. Cantera