Hardtop installation

I realise that this probably sounds like a dumb question but does the hardtop fit with or without the soft top in place?

TIA Al.

Reply to
737 FLF

hardtop fit with or without the soft top in place?

TIA Al.

Reply to
Expmiata

Softtop just stays in its "well" all winter. A few bits of advice: -I've heard of people putting the top on by themselves but its a lot easier with two people. -Be careful of the side latches (behind the shoulder belts)- its very easy to knock them part way closed and then the whole process hangs up. -Watch the defrost pigtail- it has an terrible desire to get caught under the weatherstripping. -My top (factory) need a bit of fiddling to get it properly set down on the "Frankenstein bolts" on the rear deck- when its right, the windshield header should fit perfectly. -The two rubber lumps inside the lower edge of the hardtop window rest on the softtop latches, reducing rattle

When the hardtop is on, the radio is easier to hear and the wide rear window is great. Its fast enough to put on & off to allow top-down motoring if the weather unexpectedly warms for a few days.

There are hardtop racks and slings available commercially. I made a hanger for it on my garage wall- mounted two bolts on a board that easily catch the rear mounts, and a padded bracket below that just supports the front edge. It hasn't falled down in five summers.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

I have no doubt.

You really need *three* people, one a side-latch expert.

And a fourth, preferably an electrician.

Also a fiddler, apparently.

We sure want this fiddler's music to be appreciated by the gathered crowd!

The lengths that people go to *not* to drive a convertible.

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Ok, that was very funny. Well, the part about the electrician not so much--I have to put mine on alone (three years straight, no mishaps yet) and yeah, one must be especially careful to not pinch the lead for the defogging grid. Now it's time for MY dumbass Q: Should I install the boot before putting on the hard top? I tried once, and the top would not seat. Still, with all the doom and gloom and dire warnings I hear about not using the boot I wonder...

Anyone with a definitive answer? Anyone with an M2 successfully install both simultaneously?

Cheers

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Dubya

I have an M1 so in one of the many catalogs I get, I bought a boot cover that is made to cover the top when the hardtop is in place. Everything fits great. Besides, I got this "special" boot cover free as I asked for it one Xmas about

3 or 4 Xmas's ago ;) ~Cissy :-)
Reply to
Expmiata