2002 Miata Clutch

Good afternoon,

I have a 2002 Miata with the six speed transmission and 16,000 km. Lately I have noticed a stumble when shifting when the car is cold. Does anyone know of any warranties or other dealer information about any fault with this? I have just gone through an unfortunate situation with my Subaru and am hoping this isn't going to be a repeat event. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David N.

Reply to
David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E.

"David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E." wrote in news:eG16d.528966$M95.10784@pd7tw1no:

There is an issue with some '02s. Check with your dealer to see if your car falls within the effected VINs. If it does they should replace the clutch free of charge.

You have clutch-shudder.

Go here:

0330 Your dealer will fix it for free.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

I have the same car as you, with the same milage, and have the same problem. When cold, it grates going into 2nd and 3rd gears. When fully warmed up, it only clunks going into those gears instesd of actually grating. The dealer told me that the 6-speed will never shift as smoothly as the 5 speed, then proceeded to change the gear lube for ATF. It does shift more easily now, but the grating and clunking are still there. From new, the car was sort of clunky going into 2nd, but it has developed into a real grating of gears. I have also developed a clutch shudder when cold and wonder if the two are related. I'll be going back to the dealer this week and will let all know what transpires.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

Had same issue with my 2001. Dealer did the fix per the notice and has been super fine since.

"Facts are stupid things." -- Ronald Reagan, 1988, a misquote of John Adams, "Facts are stubborn things."

Reply to
Randle P. McMurphy

Ditto for me. The clutch shuddered when starting almost from day one.

I got them to replace it at about 20,000 km.

Reply to
Stuart Lynne