I got a "new" Miata tooday!

Hello All, Today I entered into a long term relationship with a "new " 2001 Miata. This one has personality. She has a little brass plaque riveted into the dashboard that states her name is 'Maggie Mae". She is a 2001 Black and Tan with only 18,500 carfax verified miles! Her handling is so much nicer than my old 91 and 93. There is definitely a hard top and/or a wind screen in my future though. Brrrrr... I must be getting old! The only problem with 'Maggie Mae' is that her top got cut from a recent burglary attempt. The seat bottoms got very wet and the leather shrunk and hardened. I took her to a dealer recommended upholstery shop. They said for me to rub liberal amounts (actually he said 'GOBS') of Lanolin on them and that they would come back ok. They said that would work only if the seats were actually leather. They also stated that OEM replacement skins were not too expensive, even directly from Mazda.

My question is obvious, are they actually leather or some vinyl simulation? If leather, will the Lanolin work or were they just giving me the run around?

Thanks for listening! Karl North

PS, I realy don't care for the factory 16" wheels. Who makes a GOOD lightweight 16" chrome wheel for these? BBS? SSR? Miata OEM?

Reply to
Karl North

Christopher Muto

Check miata.net advertisers, there are allot of options if you go to replacement. The rejuvenation may well work or it may appear to work only to have the surface crack all to pieces shortly afterward. If it's OEM, it's real leather on the seating surface at least and beyond that mast manufacturers use vinyl back and sides. That's like a barely broken in car, mileage wise, congrats!

miata.net is your friend and the folks here are usually quite helpful so drop the top and have fun!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

They're real leather on the seating surfaces (where your butt and back touch the seat) but probably vinyl every place else.

You'll probably find some nice lightweight wheels, and some nice chrome wheels, but you probably won't find much with those two features on the same rim.

Reply to
tooloud