Mazda Miata puffing white smoke after idling

My 1996 mazda Miata puffs out white / heavy smoke after idling at light or stop sign.

replaced head gaskets and did all top engine work while it was apart. got it back and it still smoked a little and got worse the more I drove it. replaced pcv valve, still smoking, cleaned throttle body, still smoking.

after first work was done, I had some issues with the trans, it would not go into gear and it died sometimes, added trans fluid, and it did fine for a while longer, now trans fluid is down again but is not leaking on ground.

Is the trans fluid somehow burning off thru the exhaust?

I am lost and so is my mechanic. Please help

Reply to
Valerie

I'm no expert. Just some idle thoughts until an expert replies...

I was told that white smoke indicates water, but short of a cracked block you seem to have covered that. Also, water level would go down...

I have no idea what color trans fluid burns at. I also cannot imagine how trans fluid can get into the engine past the clutch. But if it's not dripping on the ground where is it going?

I would be tempted to take a very close look at the clutch see if there is some leakage along the shafts. Any issues with clutch operation at all?

Since you smoke after idling, I am thinking some kind of vacuum or pressure differential sucking fluid.

Hope this provides a starting point.

Reply to
Don Q