Mazda2?

2008 Mazda 2 - Auto Shows The Geneva debut of Mazda's B-segment fighter has everyone asking: Will Mazda bring this compact hatch to the U.S.? BY JARED GALL, February 2007

Mazda recently announced that its Mazda 2 five-door hatchback will debut at the Geneva motor show in March. Measuring two feet shorter than the Mazda 3 hatchback, the 2 is even slightly shorter than a Honda Fit. Like most B-segment cars, the 2 sits tall on a long wheelbase to provide maximum room for people and gear in minimal space. The wheels are stretched so far to the corners that the rear overhang is barely more than the thickness of the bumper.

Although the 2's face retains strong Mazda family proportions, with large headlamps flanking a pentagonal grille, the shape is less angular and more organic than that of the 3 and far more graceful than the 2's awkward predecessor. Mazda's signature raised hood sweeps up cleanly into the A-pillars, and the aggressive fender bulges plunge down into rakish body lines that shoot up the sides of the car to the taillamps, perched just below a high and tight rear window.

In Japan and Europe, power for the 2 will come from a selection of gas engines, with a diesel set to join the party later. Two 1.3-liter inline-fours offer 74 or 82 horsepower. The big-daddy 1.5-liter spews out 101 horsepower and gently tugs on the asphalt with a cool 100 pound-feet of torque. The five-speed manual did not have to be internally reinforced to handle this power output.

So, will the Mazda 2 make it to the U.S.? Not with either of those 1.3- liter engines, it won't. But the bigger four's power figures are competitive with the Fit's. Mazda is resisting saying it will bring the car over here, saying instead that it is waiting to see how the

2's competitors-mainly the Fit and the Toyota Yaris-fare here.
Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

Interesting! I say bring it on. Diesel version too! Don't wait, come on in with the leaders of the bandwagon to the US. Some day Americans will surely wake up and smell the coffee, won't we? ;-)

What's with that nasty boxy version? I was thinking how nice the cars lines were and BAM! out pops the pictures of the version with the upper rear of the hatch as boxy as a Scion XB but uglier (by far). There must be 2 versions, I vote for just one and make it the good looking one!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I just googled it, and it's not all that attractive. At least the Honda Jazz doesn't take itself too seriously; you can buy one in metallic pink.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote...

Note the caption. The first few pics are the 2008 Mazda 2. Then there are some pics of the "boxy" 2007 Mazda 2.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

I would have spelled that "less elegant and more ugly than the

3", but I don't get paid by the automotive industry. :)

I just don't like the "flying wedge" look.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I noticed the same, the old version is totally FUGLY while the newer version is completely FUGLY. It's nice they could redesign the car while keeping all the ugly.

Lately Mazda has the corner on ugly, very few can compete with them.

Reply to
XS11E

I'd have to agree with that one. The RX-8 was just nasty -- inside and out, and I notice they've re-styled the NC MX-5 to look more like the RX-8. :( I think The CX-7 is ugly as well.

The 3 is about the only thing in the current line-up that I like the looks of.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

For me it is not just Mazda either. I thought that most of the the 1980's automobiles had horrible styling, but that was vastly improved with many cars during the 1990's. Now the 2000+ models are not looking very good in most cases, imho, at least until you start to spend pretty serious money.

I saw a NC PRHT yesterday that did look disturbingly like the RX-8, not good. I think it just got permanently crossed off my list.

Pat

Reply to
pws

The NC isn't as bad as the MX-8, but the both seem to be just a random collection of details (vents, flares, creases, bulges, useless chrome bits, etc). Neither seems to have much all "design" to it. It's like they formed a committee of 10-15 people and each committee member came up (in complete isolation) with 1-2 little details they liked. Then they just closed their eyes and threw the whole lot at a drawing board.

Even the chrome-and-fin monsters of the 50s-60s felt like they been designed by one person (even if you didn't particularly like his taste).

Maybe I'm just getting too old...

Hopefully there'll be plenty of good used NBs around until somebody comes out with something else I like.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Agreed. To each their own of course. The RX-8 is one of the few cars that I liked less the more I saw it, normally my opinion on how a car looks either remains unchanged or changes for the better, like with the M2.

Agreed again, this is getting scary.

Nah, you have been too old for a while now, but look at the alternative.

The prices on them are crashing so fast it is incredible, and there are so many to choose from in this area. I really need a car that can actually carry something, (want roof rack), but if the prices keep dropping, a nice M2/NB and another reliable but semi-beater sedan or wagon will become a good possibility.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I disagree totally with you there. While I can't say as I really understand the CX-7 segment, seems to me it's about as good looking as is out there. Of course opinions are like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I know. I think the 6 and the 3, the RX-8 and the new miata are all pretty good looking. The current Mazda 5 while it is reportedly quite a decent vehicle is quite ugly (boxy). I'd be interested to hear what company (if any) is building cars you consider good looking. Let us know.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Maybe I'm just getting too old..."

You guys might have something there ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

There are some from BMW, Volvo, GM, Ford and Chrysler, everything from Jaguar, Ferrari and my all-time perennial favorite (ever since the 1955 DB2/4), Aston Martin.

Year after year, Aston Martin makes me drool down my chin and no other car company else does that.

There have been VERY good looking Japanese cars in the past but now they seem to be trying to out-ugly each other. I do like the new MX-5 but not as well as the NB which wasn't as good looking as the NB. I'd also put the Honda S2000 on my list of good looking but that's offset by the rest of the Honda line....

Reply to
XS11E