$500 for extra finish?

I'm about to purchase a new Tacoma pickup. The salesman offered for $500 to have a special coating put on the truck- I don't have the brochure, so I'm not sure what this process is called, but he said it's like putting Teflon on the truck. If it really will protect the finish, maybe it's worth it. Comments?

Please post any reply here as I'm using a false email address here to avoid spammers so sending to me won't work.

--

************* Joe Zorzin
Reply to

Another gimmick to separate you from your cash. Current paints are very durable, and don't really even need waxing to last for many years. Save your money.

Reply to
Dan G

It's a scam like extra seat protection and undercoating spray. If the dealer says that the only ones they have in stock have that stuff, tell the dealer you want a truck without any of it. If the dealer starts talking about long waits for special orders, say goodbye and find another dealer.

Anyway, that's what I did when the dealer told me that they had all their stock sprayed with the $800 undercoating spray. As I was half way out the door he suddenly remembered that he had a truck in stock that had exactly what I wanted without rip off crap.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Oh, the joys of buying new.

In Florida the distributor used to rustproof the Toyotas as they came off the boat. A little old lady buying a Toyota tried to decline rustproofing. They said, "Sorry, the cars get rustproofed right off the boat." She took it. Her car rusted. She sued and won.

The dealer-added otions are almost pure profit. About 20 years ago I read that the dealer trade magazines had ads for undercoating systems that could be applied for $5 per car. At that time, the dealers charged $100 to $150.

New is nice. But when you roll it 4-wheeling in the mud, used doesn't hurt your stomach as much.

Jim Andrus

Reply to
James Andrus

No $500 wax Did you shop the net for a deal on extended warranty? Alarm? Tint windows? Subwoofer?

Reply to
dirty rat 753

$10 bottle of "TEFLON" magic wax , a $7/hr employee. equals a $483 profit for the dealer, and the salesman incentive is $100.

So yeah, if you are really stupid go for it.

That or just simonize, McGuires, etc yourself.

Reply to
Im Right