More on the California plate.

As the originator of the "California front plate blues" thread, I appreciate all the discussion and also offer an option.

I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in the plate and the "lower lip" of my '97. I folded back about 1" of the bottom of the plate and mounted it to the lip with a couple of 1/4" X 3/4" round head machine screws. I've been running with this setup for a couple weeks, including two trips to the desert in 95F+ weather and have had no overheating. You can see the car at:

It's not a perfect solution. It doesn't look as nice as no plate, it's vulnerable to damage from bumping a curb when parking, and it's technically still illegal as the plate has been modified. Still, I think it looks better than the stock setup.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

It seems to me that I have heard/seen info regarding mounting the front plate on a spring loaded hinge so that it is vertical at rest, but hinges back as speed increases. They used a light spring so that it didn't take a lot of speed for it to lay flat and allow full air flow. Or you could move to AZ where we save money be only issuing one plate!!

Reply to
glenf

My solution when I lived in California was to leave the front plate off but in the trunk with the mounting bracket and tools. I was never stopped but figured that, if I were, I could attach it on the side of the road and maybe not get a ticket. Might not have worked but I hate the way the car looks with that stock bracket. Your adaptation is a big improvement, though.

Reply to
Lawrence

But I have read somewhere that this is also not allowed in CA...

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise

West Virginia and Pennsylvania are two more "one-plate" states, with PA having the distinction of just having repealed their helmet laws.

D>It seems to me that I have heard/seen info regarding mounting the front

Reply to
DonB