need unique (?) stereo replacement

hi group!

i am looking to get a new audio unit to replace the stock on my 91 yj. the existing stereo works perfectly fine (fm/cassette that is, which is all i need) but the problema is w/ audio cassettes. i just can't seem to get any of my home stereos to record songs at acceptable audio quality anymore. the heads are probably worn out, tapes too old, or whatever the cause of poor quality is. so back in my jeep, as you can imagine, the poorly recorded tracks are no pleasure to enjoy.

rather than getting another so-called hifi stereo sys only to go bad in the next couple of years, here's my question-

has anyone seen, read or otherwise heard of car stereos that can read some sort of electronic flash cards (be it compact flash or something else)?

fyi, i do know there exist such things as cd players these days, but these are not an option for me. for one, they are mechanical and so wouldn't last long on the roads i frequent; two, i hate the delicate nature of cd disks themselves, a total contrast to the things you expect to do in/with a jeep; and three, i am not paranoid about music quality, especially in a jeep, where engine roar and road noise is primarily there for you to enjoy :-)

any suggestions, hints and links greatly appreciated tia, pete

Reply to
Peter D.

I've got a little MP3 player that I use with a cassette adapter in my Jeep. The player is a Creative Muvo that you can pick up at your favorite *Mart (K, Wall, Target), for about $50. You can also get a FM adapter that takes the place of the cassette adapter, no moving parts and a neater, potentially more trouble free installation.

Peter D. wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Have you looked into satellite radio? True, you don't get to listen to what you choose and you'd be paying for radio, but the music is commercial-free and the programming is pretty impressive.

No, I don't have one, but I occasionally ride in a Jeep that does.

Peter D. wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Some new stereo units have a line in jack on the front.

Like Jeff said your best bet is a MP3 player with FM transmitter.

My sister has a ipod, a really nice MP3 player

with the FM transmitter. It can even hold the 29gig of music I have and will play your music anywhere not just the jeep. You can also use the ipod as a hard disk. Cheaper mp3 players out there but you gotta pay if you want to play.

It is very easy to convert your CD's into MP3's. Current version of windows media player does it and will also automatically find the album info online and name the songs etc. The higher the bit rate the better quality you will have and the larger the file size becomes.

-Brian

91 YJ 4.0
Reply to
Brian