Oil pressure fluctating 2007 2.0i

Hi

I seem to the recall that on my 2002 1.8i the needle on the oil pressure gauge hardly moved from just above the centre.

I have just got a 2007 2.0i and the gauge varies from about 2 marks above low at idle when warm to 3/4 of the way to high at about 4,500rpm. It is normally just above the centre.

Anyone know if this is normal?

TIA for any replies.

(Don't know what it will do over 4,500rpm because it has only done 100 miles so far so I am being fairly gentle.)

Don't know whether it is the Yoko tyres (2002 had Sportrack 2s) or the longer wheelbase but it takes more effort to get it to turn into corners.

Reply to
The Invisible Man

That's because your 2002 didn't have a real oil pressure gauge. It had a three position mechanical "idiot light".

Oil pressure varies considerably depending on RPM and oil temperature. If your 2007 has a real oil pressure gauge (I wish my 2003 did), you'll see that variation.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Many thanks Grant. Your comments on the 2002 explain a lot.

30+ years ago I had oil pressure gauges on a couple of Triumph Spitfires and a highly tuned Hillman Imp. All varied with revs and looked really scary when slowing to an idle after a fast run up a motorway.
Reply to
The Invisible Man

Perfectly normal. The new Oil meter is actually an electronic approximation of a real pressure meter.

....This was one of the 1st Questions I asked when I got my 2K6 MX-5

Reply to
Remove This

er, 3 position? I thought all Miata were either a proper gauge, or just 2 positions.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

I thought I read somewhere they were three position: low, middle, high. I may be misremembering.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Nope, just "some" or "none."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My mistake.

I wanted to added real oil pressure and temperature guages when I filled in the hole left in the dash by a stereo swap. But I couldn't find ones that would match (and fit). So I settled for a clock, voltage, and intake manifold pressure. :/

Of course you don't need an oil pressure guage on a Miata as much as you did on my old Alfa spyder (which needed about a quart per month).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

"Lanny Chambers" wrote

And then there was my '97. Some, none and flickering between the two at idle. A new oil pump fixed that.

Reply to
Ken Lyons