question about power steering conversion

I know a Miata owner who has a power steering pump going out on their

1996 model. I was asked to replace the pump, but was also asked about simply removing it.

Is this an option without going to a manual rack, and if so, do I simply plug the hydraulic line fittings to the power steering rack and remove the pump?

If I remember correctly, this is what was done on the 1991 red turbo Miata. It definitely had no P/S, and this Miata owner was happy with the steering effort required on that car.

I glanced around miata.net and did not find anything on it other than doing the entire conversion one way or the other, but I may have missed it.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

FM explains all:

A depowered rack will be a bit stiffer than a real manual rack, because the ratio is faster (fewer turns lock to lock).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Turns out that was the setup on the red '91 turbo Miata. Now I remember the seller mentioning the faster turn ratio.

It felt easy to turn to me, and that was with 7 inch wheels and

215/40/16 tires.

What's up with this information not being available at

I looked for it there and figured that I had just missed it.

I will probably de-power the rack on my next Miata if it has power steering, though I will get one that has not had the A/C removed next time. :-)

Thanks sir,

Pat

Reply to
pws